Categories sync incorrectly between Mac and iOS clients

Categories nearly always sync incorrectly when I import a document to a particular category in MarginNote 3 on my Mac (10.15). The documents eventually sync over to my iPad (iPadOS 13) via iCloud, but they are nearly always in the wrong category. Often, they show up in whatever category I was last using on the iPad, regardless of what category they were imported in on my Mac.

This is completely maddening to me and has been a problem for years. Please let me know how I can help to fix this bug.

Hello davemacdo, because of marginnote’s special data storage structure, the problem of synchronization has not been completely solved up to now, but the good news is that our development process so far has been focused on improving the speed of synchronization and reducing the number of synchronization errors.

We’re currently working on an IN-APP plugin support feature based on Javascript that might solve this problem by giving users the freedom to choose a third-party cloud storage service.

It is recommended that you temporarily turn off ICLOUD synchronization, use the export notebook function between your Mac and Ipad, and then transfer your work via airdrop.

Thank you for your feedback and I will reply to you in this post after the launch of the related fix.

Regards.

Is there any update to this in the last year? I just tried deleting MarginNote from my iPad and reinstalling/redownloading all my documents. I have lots of documents that I’ve spent lots of time organizing with categories on my Mac, but they show up in completely different categories on the iPad. This is super frustrating!

Hello

We should have fixed this issue.

If you ensure all your files are backup in iCloud, please try this:

First, delete the app in iPad.

Then, do your modifications in MarginNote Mac.

Empty the trash bin in Marginnote (left-bottom corner).

Wait for some time for the sync. (Go to the Cloud Sync (left-bottom corner), and it's a good sign if you see "Database synced" at the top of this popup screen.)

Then download the ios version.

This is mainly because the very wide variations for the documents take much time to sync.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team

I have tried exactly these steps many times and it doesn’t work. There is never anything in my trash bin to delete. And the “Database Synced” message is always there.

Hello

Sorry for this issue - should be a bug.

I have forward this to our developer team and we will try to locate and fix this bug for the iCloud sync.

Again, sorry for this inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team