How best to archive MarginNote-annotated files?

Dear all,

apologies as, like I stated at the beginning of this thread, after earnestly playing with it for several weeks, I had given up on MarginNote because I couldn’t find a viable outline/ annotation export possibility. I’ve only checked this forum again today.

I see now there is a plan for OPML format export. That would be perfect and exactly solve my problem. With OPML:

1. I can shorten our workflow with large PDFs enormously and maintain only the information we need: annotated and reorganised outline with highlighted text excerpts, and links to the original sources.
  2. The resulting files are very light, and can be parsed in python, etc any way we want.
  3. We are not locked to a closed-source proprietary format (eg Omni Outliner).

Can you confirm that OPML export is a possibility? Is there an update I should download for that? Thank you very much!

3 Likes

I have spent quite a bit of time reading through this very interesting post. Great to see the developers actively collaborating with their users/customer base.
I have been using MN for about 2 years now, and while its functions have been sufficient during this time, after some changes in what I am required to do, I now also have a critical requirement for a viable export option of outline/annotations.
I am looking firstly for a way to be able export only those annotations that I have filtered, while not having to first copy the filtered annotations to a new notebook. Doing it this way is not really feasible. I will sometimes need to include the parent note, and only some of the child notes in my final annotation document for export, but if the parent note is selected and copied to a new notebook, the entire tree is copied as well.
Is there not an easy way to filter notes in order to select the important information you want to retain in external apps like DTP without first having to delete all ‘less important’ notes?

1 Like

For instance, a game changer for me, would be the ability to export only the emphasized text from my outline/annotations. Since we are not able excerpt from within an excerpt or note, the ability to export only the emphasised text will work very well in a progressive summarization workflow

2 Likes

Nothing?

2 Likes

“Says solved by support team in post 69“

Funny, I do t see a solution at all in here or in post number 69. I’ve came up against similar about archiving outside of MarginNote with annotations. I need to start sharing some research I’ve been doing and currently that’s not possible. Is anything in development?

3 Likes

Did you ever get an answer to your question? I’m trying to solve the same problem, myself.

1 Like

Wish I could say I did. I looked at post 69, “the solution” and it seems that it was a call for beta-testers with Apple Script knowledge for OS X . I only use MN on mobile so not sure if that’s even relevant and haven’t seen anything implemented on the mobile front.
My workflow is still manual and inefficient with MN/PDF/Sharing. Currently have been moving most research related annotations to Roam Research. Would be interesting to see MN3 get bi-directional links like Roam and better export and sharing. I’d do most everything in it.

3 Likes

Got it. Thanks.

Yeah, ditto that sentiment. Big time.

Thanks!

1 Like

Dear @Lanco_Support-Team / @Sushi_Support-Team Has there been any development with this issue?

Thank you.

3 Likes

All your notes can be converted based on the MN plugin.

We’ve been working on the instructions for these interfaces for the last few months, and have almost completed the main documentation, which we are now working on proofreading and translating into English for the community of developers. Introduction | MarginNote Addon Developing Guide (Preview Edition)
You will then have a high degree of data customization to suit the needs of different format conversions.

@Lanco_Support-Team is there a way to be notified when the documentation on extensions is released in English? Looking forward to it!

Regards,
David

1 Like

Yes,all the ExtsTester numbers will be notified. :grimacing:

1 Like

Hi. Is this still being beta-tested? Any release date planned?

4 Likes

Also very interested in OPML support! This would help me so much. Exporting is the biggest pain point for me with MarginNote

1 Like

Export to OmniOutliner (under the Export icon) does export to OPML format. While I can naturally see a lot of ways to improve it, the export does at least get it into that format.

2 Likes

When?

1 Like

Any new developments?

This is the English version of MarginNote Add-on Development Guide: Introduction | MarginNote Addon Developing Guide (Preview Edition)

Hmmm…… Maybe it’s hard for novice programmers.

I’m from Chinese forum, and here is one inspiring plugin which may provide us a new way to export notes to Obsidian or other Markdown softwares. (Should still be a semi-finished product :face_with_raised_eyebrow:)GitHub - aidenlx/obsidian-bridge: An MarginNote Addon to bridge MarginNote 3 and Obsidian.md.

And here is the demo video by the Add-on Developer: https://bbs.marginnote.cn/t/topic/17140/7

Try changing the note color everytime you emphasize a text so you can locate your important notes

You mention Obsidian, but what about database application like DEVONthinkPro?

Part of the reason why I started this forum topic is because of the large export size of MN3’s PDF files…