Quick search for tag(s) while tagging a note

I use a wide range of tags across a broad array of subjects. I have over 100 tags that I use regularly while marking up a text. MN is fantastic for sifting and sorting through tags once the tag has been applied, however I often find that selecting the correct tags to apply can be a very slow process. I end up scrolling down the long alphabetized list of tags that pop up when tagging a note in order to locate and select the correct one.

It would be great to have a search & sort function for tags to help speed up the process of tagging. I.e. when one goes to tag a note, the list of tags pops up, with a “search” field at the top > begin typing the first few letters of the tag and the list below narrows accordingly. Basically: a quick-search function for tags, to be used while reading and note-taking.

3 Likes

I totally agree. This is so important. Tag categories and last used tag section are so essential for this app. Unfortunately no updates have been shared for a long time about this.

2 Likes

I agree. I have the same frustration all the time.

2 Likes

Hello

“I.e. when one goes to tag a note, the list of tags pops up, with a “search” field at the top > begin typing the first few letters of the tag and the list below narrows accordingly. ”

Hello, is there any similar app that does this? Can you share some screenshots?

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

1 Like

Thanks for the response and getting back so quickly Edward.

I think the best example I can think off of the top of my head is something similar to the search function in a mac/apple contacts list.

When you pull up the contacts app on a mac, you can quickly search to locate a contact by beginning to type the first few letters the name in the search field:

As you type the name, the alphabetized list of contact narrows and you can quickly select the correct one:

Now imagine that instead of a list of phone/email contacts, that is the list of tags in MN3. My suggestion is to add a similar search feature that can narrow the list of tags that pops up when a MN user goes to tag a highlight or note in a PDF. Currently, I have to manually scroll through a long alphabetized list. I have a lot of tags, and having a search function similar to the contacts app one shown above would help to be more efficient while reading and tagging notes.

Make sense?

This is the list of tags in MN3 that I am referring to fwiw. If there was a search feature at the top of this pop-up tag list, that would be really helpful.