Suggestions for hashtag improvements!

Sorry for my late reply to your message, @Lanco_Support-Team. I’ve been on a deadline, and it has totally consumed my time and energy. Anyway, I’ll put something together for you that I think will be helpful. It’ll take me a little bit, but I hope it’ll help. Sound good? Thanks so much for making this a high-priority!

3 Likes

Not urgency.God bless you.May you succeed in your exam~~

1 Like

The ideal use case for hashtags is Luhmann’s famous Zettelkasten approach that made him one of the most prolific sociologists of the 20th century.

If you look at the way his Zettelkasten is structured, it could well be replicated in MarginNote with hashtags and links! A more powerful way to display / sort filter these relationships is almost all we need here:

I’m using this great tool to digitally recreate his approach. As it is open source you might be able to look at how to implement this fairly easily. He made a pretty nice presentation to help you understand his approach and the various ways of implementation.

6 Likes

Does MN create permenant link for each highlight/note?

Have a good one,
Bart

1 Like

Thanks, @Lanco_Support-Team. I’m nearly ready to share the set up I use. I’ll try to post some of it here, but it might be easier to send other parts of it directly. What’s the best way to do that? Thanks.

2 Likes

@jprint

Please share here, we are all interested in knowing the best way to improve workflow.

1 Like

Does MN create permenant link for each highlight/note?

@bart : yes; does Edit > Copy note URL do what you want?

Thanks @mobo. I ask because I also use

and it requires a unique identifier for each note. That can be link, but it should never change. I don’t take long term notes in MN, so I don’t know. I only take reading notes which are very different than my synthesized, long term notes that span months or years of research. I wouldn’t enjoy using a single MN notebook for hundreds or thousands of books. What about notes about notes? Is it possible to create a standalone note in MN? I think it must be tied to a book, and even more specifically to a highlight. All that said, zettelkastens can certainly be implemented on a per book or per smaller project basis.

@bart,

Funny you should mention Zettelkasten, as I was just now reading and trying to understand the system. There are apps, though the one @Nils mentioned seems no longer to be under development, its wiki is dead, and the Google-translated documentation is rather vague in places.

What app do you use for Zettelkasten?

Trying to answer your questions: I assume the links to notes in MN are unique IDs and will never change, unless you delete your database. I gather the usual workflow is to create a new notebook for each book or article, and then cross-link.

I’m not sure about your other questions. Maybe @Lanco_Support-Team can help us out?

I think the idea is wonderful. For my understanding, the best part about Zettelkasten is that you don’t need to, and shouldn’t catagorize them. That way, you are always free to make new connections to and from them. They are never assumed to have just a single meaning.

The biggest issue with links changing is upon export, should one choose another app in the future or the one being used is not supported anymore. However, any app will work if you give your zettles a number in the title. People use all kinds of different apps for it. For my needs, I prefer something more than a simple hyperlink, wiki style (though wiki links can break). I use Tinderbox and even at its most basic is much more powerful than a list of notes. You can, and most users do, create notes in a visual map view (in the same way a mind map is visual). Other views include outlines, amoung other notable things. Notes can be aliased, meaning they’re copied but directly related to the original. In essance, you can have a single note in multiple places. That note can be linked to other notes, and tagged. You can have a tag. A tag is one kind of attribute given to a note. There are endless others possible, such as publication, year of publication, male or female protagonist, or whatever else. Then there are very powerful ways to search through your notes and attributes, including agents which are basically smart filtered searches that constantly run and copy aliases into them that match the results, for example. So you can have a place that automatically copies any note that has a certain tag, for example. That note can automatically be changed to a different color to differentiate it. The possibilities are endless, but the sofware is a bit geaky and making use of the advanced possibilities involves remembering how to formulate some basic expressions. But even without that, it’s very powerful.

Here’s some nice videos (although a bit long) of Beck Trench using the two together. She’s a teacher and researcher and I happen to love both her presence and her workflow.

1 Like

Min and I both think you Native users has more profound Localization culture background. And this make yours description more pellucid.It will be easier to be understood by others.

For the most important one, you guys know the authentic demanding scene.And by study your workflow and guide., the MN could not be developed in fantasy for students and users in both sides of the Atlantic.:smile:

So in my suggestion, the new thread or a serries of posts pined on Forum top about your workflow sharing is best.

Yours sincerely,
Lanco

Attach Developer Min’s suggestions::alien:
另外英文论坛里发掘发掘,看看有没有合适的人,可以来分享一些英文教程,虽然我们的中文教程可以翻译成英文,但是我们还是面向美国学生和用户,用他们听的懂的话去介绍,这需要是具有本土文化背景的人

1 Like

I‘m not quite sure I know what you mean :man_shrugging::grimacing: Are the workflows so different between China and Europe/US that you couldn‘t implement features for both ways of studying or (what I think) that it really helps to hear about other workflows that you „couldn’t imagine“ and integrating those?

Yes, in the Asian countries especially Korean, Japan and China, mnemonics things is primary one in every Subject. Tons of linguistic missions are needed to be memorized.And it’s different from German study English as EU language is all Fusional Language and has lots of universal etyma. Eastern language is based on Hanzi which is also not a phonogram. Subjects like History and Politics is continued to be studied unitl Master‘s degree etc.

So most of our Asian users is examination scene. That’s why we keep work on Anki-related improvements.

In the other hand, Chinese University is more specialized about Engineering(barely involved with Nvivo Atlas.ti etc. than sociologists). Marginnote’s other primary usage about qualitative research has very little feedback until I found discuss within @mobo ,jprint , JournoProf and DrJJW in this thread .

We hope MN(especially Mac version) could works more professional in Research Fields and Personal Wiki usage in the future. So we’re eager to learn yours using scenes.

3 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: 【Guide】My hashtag approach together for users

Done. Please see what I posted.

@mobo @bart MN creates a unique ID for every note card. When you’re using ‘Copy note URL’, the address contains a unique UUID.

I‘ve restudied the Zettelkasten method and find that it just needs a little modification and MN could work on this method.

The team will discuss it.

1 Like

@Lanco_Support-Team – Just in case you missed what I wrote in my last post under How best to archive MarginNote-annotated files?, this is what I said – since it relates to your last point, and what many users seem to need…

1 Like

@Lanco_Support-Team, I’m pleased to hear you’re interested in the Zettlekasten method. I wonder if your team would be willing to share your ideas for implementing this in MN here on the forum — before coding — so we could have a discussion about it?

Personally, I have my own ad-hoc workflow but I am very curious about the Zettlekasten method (ZKM). I suggest this because I feel there are others here on the forum who have a lot more experience with this method, and they could provide some valuable feedback before any time is spent coding.

Having a forum discussion here about doing ZKM in MN would be a way for all of us to learn more about the method, and could be helpful for your team in how to best extend MN to support it.

1 Like

Yes, sure. We are very pleased to share the ideas in the forum before coding.Now I’m working on letting everyone in the team to understand this method by making some demo videos. Whenever you have any attachment to this, you cloud post it.

Lanco

1 Like