Alternatives to MarginNote?

This 3 years after this post. Yes, the dev are still making empty promises, they still haven’t fixed the sync issue, and they don’t care about customer feedback at all.

1 Like

Is there any alternative that could also open the MN notebooks? I’m halfway through my certification and I would HATE to start all over again.

It depends on how you are using MarginNote. Halfway through my first paper I realised I was too dependent on the tool. Nowadays I might use MarginNote for some quick single document analysis but my synthesis is done in Obsidian. It’s canvas isn’t as ‘automatic’ as MarginNote but I get closer to the material and have found that my understanding of the material is improved.

So, the question is: if you are combining all of MarginNote’s features including the study mode then replacing that will be quite complicated. If you have original writing in MarginNote then that also will be complicated. It entirely depends on how deep you have gone.

As an aside, I’ve pretty much replaced MarginNote in my workflow with DEVONThink, Obsidian and BookEnds (which I’m tentatively trialing as a Zotero alternative).

2 Likes

Honestly this post is pretty old but the fact that people are still commenting on it shows how relevant it is.

The customer support is pretty trash and issues that’ve been repeatedly addressed here for years have been ignored or given the same meaningless responses.

It really is disappointing quite frankly

1 Like

And here I was thinking someone would be sharing some more workflow software ideas.

So as not to disappoint, I recently came across this video. In it, the presenter describes using Obsidian to build a quote book. This is something I used to do in MarginNote but I’ve since altered my workflow (as described above) and have been looking for a good way to manage quotations. This doesn’t obviously serve as a substitute for all MarginNote features (nothing really does that) but it might be useful for someone who tracks quotations.

The Video - How to Build a REAL Quotebook in Obsidian (and WITHOUT Dataview)

It is a bit complicated, but the results are fairly robust and visually quite pleasing.

liquid text is cool no ability to seperate in stages ie study document the only deal breaker was the cost

If you are a student you can easily get student discount, after discount it’s really cheap. Its a one time purchase but you will only get the subscription in one device.

But from my use, handwriting experience in liquidtext is very bad and I have reported this to dev team but they don’t have a fix for this.