Any changes to MN folders & categories?

mobo Wiki Contributor #9
@Support-Team,
Almost a month has passed. We are awaiting a substantive reply.
It seems you have staffing issues — is that correct?

Agreed. Thank you, @mobo.

We’ve been quite patient; this is frustrating.

Did you mean to send reply to @mobo ?

Nothing showed up, except for what @mobo posted.

@Support-Team

Another week passed. Bump.

1 Like

And on and on it goes…

Ok, I’m trying to move the ball forward on this front, so let me try do my part by answering your question directly. Thirty days ago, you wrote:

As I said in this post that I typed up for you last February,

“2. Fix and clarify MN folders & categories. Right now it’s glitchy and frankly confusing. No one is clear on how MN’s folder systems is supposed to work, and so there’s a chaotic and problematic file organizational structure in MN (or lack thereof). As a result, many of us have learned to only open files in MN the moment we’re ready to annotate them – otherwise they’ll get lost in a disordered list of files that we’re unable to group and As part of this, we’d like to simple folder / organizational taxonomy in which we’re able to group files by subject AND prioritize them.”

So, I think I’ve already laid out a suggested approach for you. Perhaps thing of categories as subject tags for MN files and folders as a kind of smart folder organizational approach, sorted by project and/or priority (as determined by the user). That’s how I’d approach it.

BTW, I see one problem w/ MN’s approach to organization: it divides documents and notebooks, which creates all kinds of layers of confusion. I haven’t yet understood why there are two different formats, partly because there’s no manual that clearly defines the different function intentions (insofar as I can tell).

Actually, I see another problem, w/ MN’s approach to folder/category organization… Whenever I import new files in MN, they’re created as documents. And so, I organize the categories in MN’s category section. But then when I open these files in Study, and convert them as notebooks, I have to re-create another level of category organization. I don’t see what the purpose of this is, but I might be overlooking what MN developers were imagining.

Hope this is helpful, and can move the ball forward. Let me know if you’d like me to clarify or answer any questions.

Thanks!

@Support-Team

Another week. Bump.

1 Like

I’m starting to wonder if they care.

1 Like

It’s pretty clear none of the issues raised on this thread will ever be addressed, and it’s pretty clear that MarginNote support will never improve.

Alternatives to MarginNote?

Dear @Lanco_Support-Team / @Sushi_Support-Team / @Support-Team as there been any development with this issue?

I’m gravely worried that the lack of communication and responsiveness to users’ posts will result in you losing them, and they seem very invested in your product. I’ve found that some of these members have been channeling the very same concerns that I have, and some of them have provided thoughtful, detailed analysis and suggested approaches you could incorporate into MarginNote, thus making it s stronger, better product.

I do hope you will consider better communicating with your users, in general, and especially those who’ve worked hard to help assist you and the larger MarginNote community. It would be a shame to lose them, no?

Thank you.

As shown in the figure,our internal tickets system was buggy on this floor, @Edward_Support-Team handled thread at first. Then he forwarded this post to me while I was out of town for the developer forum and didn’t notice it, sorry about that, we’ll respond to the unaddressed issue now!

Best regards,
Lanco
MarginNote

Lack of communication is indeed an issue for us, and we’ve actually completed the experiments with the data structure revamp you suggest, redefining *.marginset as a packet can solve errors and a host of potential failures caused by separate management of files and notebooks, and can be helpful in resolving synchronization issues.

The list of importance that you have compiled is on the wall in our office and we have never given up on fixing these issues. the lack of constant communication and feedback, and the lack of open roadmap is indeed an important issue for us and we will improve this, sorry for the confusion. The Chinese government network firewall limits the efficiency of access to international sites, and language habits, we mainly through the tickets order system transit access to the international community, after the faulty floor missed the follow-up reminder of this thread, we will make introspection, strengthen the manual review checks to avoid the problem again!
I have also explained in another post! Alternatives to MarginNote?

1 Like

I don’t know if @jprint is still interested in providing input about these and other MarginNote issues that he raised. I do hope so, given the robust ideas & suggestions provided. In any case, here’s a thought on the issue of folder & categories:

Many users tend to use / convert files from Documents to Study because of the annotation options available in Study. (I still don’t understand the value or utility of Study mode.) In any case, it seems to me that there are folders in the Documents section and categories in the Study section. But I do not understand that logical formulation behind this.

Can someone from @Support-Team explain the reason for this and what organizational framework they had in mind? I would again recommend considering @jprint’s organizational taxonomy / approach, especially in the Study section – which is where most users’ files mostly reside (for reasons I just explained).

Thank you.

1 Like

Any further thoughts or developments on this front?

I feel like there are many outstanding requests and queries that have stalled, and many MarginNote users are understandably frustrated with the lack of communication and progress.

Thank you.

2 Likes

No reply to this one, either.

1 Like

https://d.marginnote.cn/MarginNote_3.6.16003.app.zip

Hi, guys.

It’s confirmed that the folder design has improved, and now the main problem is that our current workaround doesn’t have a way to integrate into Marginnote3 in the first place. Because this means massive data conversion. Such a big change we need to put in a big version update, i.e. MarginSketch (Or it could be another name.), and will eventually be integrated into Marginote 4. This is something we can guarantee.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello, @mobo, this is a recently compiled version that handled the two issues of English hyphens and excerpt font settings.

We have not yet released this version and would like to invite you to download it to confirm it. Thank you for your time.

Regards.

1 Like

We realize that Marginote has a lot of room for improvement, but there is a lack of concrete samples and examples within the team.

In fact it’s hard for us to move forward with an idea just by talking about it in the abstract, so if you’re interested, you can join our beta test.

We’re currently working on optimizing the data and UI in general, and have plans to enhance sync and develop online collaboration.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @Edward_Support-Team,

Sounds good. Let me know how to download this new version for testing, and I’ll have a look.

Best regards.

1 Like