Bug: Zoom In feature does not work with pressing the "=" for viewing PDF in document view mode

Hello,

I am NOT able to Zoom Out on a PDF using “-” key In the document viewing mode in MN3 on the Mac.

The Zoom In feature does not work when I press the “=” key. Choosing the menu command or choose MindMap>Zoom Out. It is only pressing the “-” key that does not work.

I am using MarginNote 3 Version 3.7.3 (3.7.3002) on the macOS version Big Sur 11.2.

Also, it seems strange that Zoom In and Zoom Out feature is in the Mind Map menu. I went through all the menu items to find a way to Zoom In/Out the view of a PDF. I would like to see a global command in the “View” menu. Also, it is possible to Zoom In/Out in other applications by using a slider in the window where you view the PDF.

Note: the zoom I am referring to is making the viewing size of the PDF larger or smaller. I am not referring to the other meaning for zoom, which makes the application full screen. I can make a screencast if needed.

Option-scroll wheel is what I use, I also keep a trackpad nearby all the time because I love using it for zooming. I find the stepped zoom of Command-+ and Command-- to be clunky. If they put a global zoom under Edit then what should it zoom? How would you see the focus? Two different commands for mind map and PDF? I think I understand what you want but given that zoom already is assigned to the mind map how would you change it so you’d differentiate between mind map and document?

Edit: Of course I missed the ‘document’ mode in your post. I can see this now. Perhaps having it work even in research mode by holding down the command-option key (or shift) to zoom the document instead of the mind map in research mode and then bringing that same command-option modifier to document mode. It’s non-standard but at least doesn’t disconnect an established (at least for MN) key combo.

Pressing the “=” key (combination of the Shift and =/- keys) does nothing on my computer. Does this work for you when you are in the Document View mode @happycatmachine?

By Document View mode, I mean the view where it is just the PDF and notes displayed. Not the Mind Map mode.

I am using a Japanese keyboard on an iMac with Big Sur Version 11.2.

This is my main concern at the moment as I cannot read the text on some PDFs because I cannot Zoom In. I have suggestions for scenarios you write about, but first I need the have this bug ironed out.

Edit: The title of this post now was wrong. This was corrected.

That edit section I made was just a suggestion for the devs. No, it doesn’t work that way yet. Still, if you have a wheel on your mouse then option-wheel zooms in and out so quickly and smoothly.

Hello

Try CMD + and CMD -, hopefully this would work.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Hello @Sushi_Support-Team,

“CMD” + " -" works.
“CMD” + “+” does nothing.

Any more suggestions?

Hello

Sorry, but can you provide us with s screen recording so that we could possibly locate the problem? Thanks!

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

@Sushi_Support-Team I made a screen recording of the problem I am encountering. I can focus in and out using the Mindmap menu. I try to do the same thing using the key combination COMMAND = and nothing happens. The key combination of COMMAND - works okay. I hope you can see the problem I am having.

Hello

Hi! For now, I think that it might be that the hotkey is in conflict with other hotkeys. Theoretically, this should work on your mac. You may have to diagnose what app short-cut is in conflict with your MarginNote.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

I used the short cut finder app, KeyCue, and it shows no other program nor the macOS is using the shortcut “COMMAND” and “=”. Also, others in this thread have posted that the same thing is happening for them. I checked this on my iMac and MacBook Air.

Could you please check with the engineers?

Thanks for your help, as always! :slight_smile:

Hello

Hi! I got it. I will check with the developers.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Just checking in to learn what the developers told you about this issue.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Hello

Ooophs! Sorry that I forgot to inform you of the current solution.

You can change the short cut in your system preferences, and if you change it in that to other shortcuts, things will work. We have tested several machines, but was not able to replicate the issue.

Also, you could go to MarginNote, and select services, then go to services preferences to see if there is any shortcut conflicts. It may not work, but there is a chance that something happen there.

Sorry again about the inconvenience. Have a nice day:-)

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Thank you for providing me the feedback from the developers.

I followed your instructions and was successfully able to resolve the issue! :slight_smile:

The steps I used to resolve the problem were:
Open System Preferences > select Keyboard > select Shortcuts > select Application Shortcutes from lefthand-side window > select + > select MarginNote from dropdown menu > type “Zoom In” in Menu Title box > choose shift+command+=/- key in keyboard shortcut > click add

Hope this helps others who were having this problem. Please note that I am using a Japanese JIS keyboard. This may have been the cause of this bug.

Thank you again! :slight_smile:

Darren McDonald
Japan

1 Like

Hello

Sorry that I forgot about this issue :-( Have a nice day~

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team