Crash during document search

Hi,
I would like to report a bug that causes MN to crash every time I do a search through the documents loaded in Study mode.

Has this being framed already? Is there a solution to that?

Many thanks,
Rafael.

2 Likes

@Lanco_Support-Team @Sushi_Support-Team

1 Like

I do a search several times a day across documents. One study of mine has 67 documents with a combination of ePubs and PDFs. I’ve yet to see a crash (knock on wood) when doing a search. I would suspect that it is a particular document that is the problem.

If I was faced with your situation, this is what I would do:

1. Duplicate the project you are having trouble with

2. In the duplicate, try the search, does it still crash? If so proceed to step 3 (if not, delete the old project and use the new one)

3. Remove half of the documents in the study.

4. Do the search, does it crash? If so then proceed to step 5 (if not, go back to step 1 and in step 3 remove the OTHER half of the documents)

5. Continue removing half the documents until it doesn’t crash, then go back and remove the other half. It’s the divide and conquer method of finding a problem element in a large stack of elements.

Also,

If you’ve not emptied your application trash or cleaned up the database recently, that might be a good thing to do as well.

Hi @happycatmachine,

Thanks for your message. This problem is extended across all my study documents, around 20-30. I only use PDFs for my study and the only way I found to do a search without MN crashing is by exiting the study mode, going into a single document and do the search there (obviously, not ideal).

I thought that may be a recurrent problem for everyone loading several documents (20-30) into a single study-document, but you just confirmed you are able to search with no issues…

I just tried deleting all the trash files and notes, unfortunately the problem persist :frowning:
Maybe I should try reinstalling the app. I haven’t try this yet because I am afraid of loosing some information in the process.

Regards,
Rafael.

I have had this problem a few years now. It happens consistently when I try to run a search. I love MarginNote and have kept the app in the hope that one day it will be repaired. Apparently, and because of the number of people reporting it, this issue is widespread but not everyone experiences it. Also, there is no similarity between devices and OS version. I have submitted crash reports, as others have, on multiple occasions and the developers have been apparently honest by admitting that they cannot see why it is happening. Therefore, this leads me to believe that it may be a compatibility issue with either a setting or possibly another app. One similarity appears to be the size of the workspace, map or whatever it is called. Most reports I have read are from those of us who are studying, have multiple file types and large (lets call them maps) maps. It would be useful if the developers could provide some con create limitations and best practices for using MarginNote (forgive me if they already have). I just opened the app for the first time in a long time and attempted a search. Despite, multiple updates, newer device and a few iPadOS versions, it immediately crashed. One option I have considered trying is converting my documents to lighter weight versions of themselves, such as Markdown or RTF. However, this is time consuming and especially so for thos who are studying with deadlines to make. I have graduated with my MSc now but I am still studying toward a few vocational qualifications and so I would love to get either a workaround or a resolution for this. MarginNote was not best suited for my degree due to the lack of a reference solution, However, for my vocational qualms which do not require proper referencing (still will) it is perfect. Dev’s work some magic please and solve this conundrum. We all know your are more wizards than developers because when it works it is fantastic. (If desperate, suck up right? Haha). If any of you guys have any more to add, or to correct me on (sandboxing springs to mind regarding other apps being the culprit, but I don’t know enough about that to say either way), please do comment. Cheers.