Doc highlights suddenly disappear - too frequently

Highlights, at least some, are suddenly invisible in the document. When I click on a part of the document that I know it had been highlighted, the blue selectors at both ends of the selection show up, but not the highlight/colored background or underline. I have to click in the note that I’m seeing in the Mindmap or in the outline and then they show up again.

But then it happens again and again in the same or other parts of the document, and it does it randomly (at least I haven’t found a trigger for this behaviour) and several times in a day… Last time the color was hidden even while highlighting it, and I was selecting a color that should have been displayed…

Any help with this please?

2 Likes

Hello

This is probably due to the rendering engine of MarginNote. We are trying to improve the performance of it, but it takes some effort. Meanwhile, I think you could use the idea boxes (or child mind maps) to help make your individual mindmaps smaller, so that such occasions would occur less frequently.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

1 Like

Oh, thanks Sushi, I understand from what you say in brackets that if a focus on a child node the overload in the rendering would be reduced and the problem would be mitigated… will try that.

Regarding the idea boxes, I’m using them to make links between maps without messing things up too much… Maybe I need to find some other real use case scenarios so that I could use them to reduce the “rendering stress”. Or wait, you mean that if have them in my nodes I can use “focus” more without losing the perspective needed to see the relations to other nodes in other parent branches… right?

1 Like

Mmm, but it is happening even when I’m starting to highlight a document, in document mode, i.e. before upgrading it to “Mindmap notebook”, so I can’t see how the proposed actions could help here…
Yet, not sure, but it seemed to reduce the cases though (not this one obviously but maybe in docs with not very small mindmaps… )
Just in case, has there been reported any problem with ARM/M1 processors? (i’m using a new Macbook) Marginnote is not listed as a compatible or optimized app, but neither as the contrary.

1 Like

Hello

Oh, I am sorry that I made a mistake. I thought you were saying the nodes on the mindmap disappeared. We have met with several occasions of that, which is due to the performance bottleneck of the rendering engine. Sorry for my negligence.

For disappearance of the PDF highlights, the situation could be better if you disable scroll view and instead use a page by page view. PDFs are kind of hard to deal with, especially given their variations in size, encoding, etc. A lot of the crashes in MarginNote is rather due to the memory overload of reading PDF files, and I suppose that by using a page view instead of a scroll view, your problem could be better.

As to the M1 Macs thing, I am using a M1 MacBook Air, and MarginNote 3 works great for me. I think you should be fine using it on a M1 Mac. The reason that MarginNote hasn't been compiled to run natively Apple silicon is due to that some of the dependencies / APIs that MarginNote uses are not recompiled, and we are still waiting on them to get compiled to deliver a fully native version. Nevertheless, the current intel version works fine.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Hi Suchi, I always do use page view. It was the first thing I did when started to use when starting using marginnote (I do it with every pdf reader/highlighter). Scroll view is just too uncomfortable.

Knowing that it is a memory issue helps though. I might close other apps that are using too much memory. Yet I hope Marginnote address the memory issue soon, cause I’ll need to use other software in parallel that uses much more memory than the ones I’m using now. And anyway, this interrupts the work flow constantly…

Thanks for the feedback on the M1, it is good to know that this is not the issue, and that you’re working on the M1 optimizatio. Crossing fingers for Apple to release those API’s dependencies…

Regards,

Hello

It's not Apple's API :-) Some third party apis are not working for now, and we are still waiting for them to update. Nevertheless, have a nice day:-)

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Mart do you still have this issue, Im also concerned by this weird delay/disappearing

Will verify that as I had to stop using Remnote for some time. Started recently putting more documents… but now, what is dissapearing are the papers themselves!
Oh gosh…