Does iCloud syncing work yet?

I have gone through a lot of threads but there seems to be no solution to this problem. I am trying to sync my MN3 between the iPad and the Mac. The books and the notes are on the ipad.

All the settings are as they should be. I have double checked them. I have tried the manual sync too.

All the PDFs are syncing fine, but without the notes. The notes and the mindmaps are not syncing. Without this, what is even the point of this app ?

Is there a workaround for this?

I really wish i had gone with liquidtext instead.

Also, there are no errors. It shows me “Database synced” but the notebook and notes do not appear on the mac at all.

Hello

Hello, here we suggest you try the following operations in turn to fix this problem.

1. Check whether the marginote option of icloud and the icloud cloud disk option in the settings have been turned on

2. Restart the device

3. Log in to icloud again

4. Reinstall marginote 3 after backup

If the problem is still not solved, please contact us again.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

1 Like

Did all that. Still not working. when i click cloudsync and go to the mindmap notebook section it says “Database synced”. Yet none of my notebooks or highlights are syncing to the mac.

Hello

You can try airdrop to back up and have a look

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

Backup what ? On the iPad the MN3 folder is in the iCloud. And I am trying to access the same folder from the Mac.

There is no other mn3 folder on the iPad and I have no idea where the notebooks or the highlights are saved,

Any solutions ? this has made mn3 practically useless to me. After buying it on two platforms.

@Somedevil

From my experience as a user, iCloud sync is actually working really well. Sometimes it takes a while to trigger but in general, it’s reliable for documents, document notebooks and mindmap notebooks. So there might be some local issue on your devices that has nothing to do with MarginNote.

The one time I experienced major issues was when storage on my devices was full without me noticing. In this case, iCloud sync fails silently, which can be confusing. So that’s one thing to check.

Also, does iCloud sync work in general on your devices? If you add a document to the iCloud folder on Mac via Finder, does it show up on your iOS devices and vice versa? If not, then it could be a general iCloud issue.

Good luck finding the issue.

Hello

Hello, just use marginnote's own export backup function ~ don't look for files in icloud folder, because notebook data in marginnote is not stored in icloud

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

@AW2307 My iCloud works perfectly across all my devices. Neither is there any problem with storage on the iCloud or on the devices. So the problem is certainly MN3. The documents are syncing but not the highlights or the notebooks.

Browsing the forums i have seen that tons of other people are having this problems too but the developers don’t seem to care.

@Support-Team So you want me to make a backup every single day and transfer it to the Mac so as to keep my highlights updated ? Instead of providing a solution for the iCloud backup.

You do know, that Liquidtext provides real time sync So you guys are way behind them when it comes to syncing. And way more expensive.

Hello

Hello, we've come to this point, but considering the foundation of the marginnote database, the current version can't be solved well, but it will be optimized in our new version

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

I perfectly understand your frustration. I work on both iPad and Mac very often changing between these two devices. Every time I change I am a little bit nervous about losing sync as sometimes it seems not to work.

But my experience is very good after all: sometimes you have to wait or to quit applications on both devices and start syncing manually. In the end I never lost anything and got syncing of both, my pdfs which I uploaded on either device and my mind maps created.

For anyone reading this in 2023 this feature still does not work and it’s extremely frustrating.

Hi guys,

Continue follow up this thread. I have used MN on my iPad Pro for almost 2 year. Recently start to use Mac MN Trial version. I have turned off iCloud sync in MN on Mac and iPad Pro. I already have backup document of iPad MN days ago on my NAS.New notes have been made in iPad MN but not backup. When I open the old backup document, everything is imported to Mac MN. What’s wired is after that, seems like Mac detected new changes to this document, which is still on my iPad Pro. So Mac MN inquired if need to replace the old document with new one, which contained new changes. I didn’t find anywhere I could set automatical-detectiing changes in Mac MN? Just curious about the logistic behind this. Anyone could answer this questions?

Update: I noticed that iPad MN was connedcted automatically in the dock. So it means Mac MN could automatically detect and connect to iPad MN. Any comments?

1 Like