Export as PDF with my annotations

Hi everyone,

I’ve tried the various exporting options (“Export all pages”, “Export right margin” etc.) but I cannot make MarginNote 3 export my annotations in a way that allows other apps to use them. Please help!

I have a library of PDF books in my cloud storage and I import them into MarginNote 3 to read them and add notes and highlights etc. Once I’ve finished annotating them in MarginNote 3, I then want to be able to put them back into my cloud library for long-term storage (all full of my thoughts and highlights). I also want to be able to open them (and access my annotations) in other apps so that I can share them with people who don’t have MarginNote 3.

I’m failing to make this happen though. When I try to export my PDFs from MarginNote 3 into, say, Adobe Acrobat I cannot access my annotations in a normal way.

I’ve tried “Export all pages” without “Export right margin” and what happens is that my highlights (along with the annotation box symbol) are baked into the PDF text and the comment has totally vanished - and nothing is clickable or editable. I’ve also tried it with “Export right margin” and what happens is I get an altered (squashed) version of my book with my notes baked into an image of a right margin - again, nothing is clickable: I can’t interact with anything and show/hide comments.

What I’m wanting is to simply export the book I’ve finished reading as a normal PDF with comments and highlights that I can interact with when I open it in any other PDF reader.

Please help me understand how

In the search and outline section under study there is a button to expand notes to show comments at the bottom of the section. If you expand they will be expanded upon exporting to PDF.

Regarding links in the PDF make sure you’re your PDF reader isn’t blocking them you may have to do a right mouse click (option+ left mouse) to open them. Unfortunately, the links go back to Marginnote and not the page within the PDF document. I hope they add this feature.

I feel like this used to happen, but today I really wanted to export a PDF document containing the full article, my highlights/annotations, and the right margin containing the annotations, selected images, etc. The note list was definitely open and expanded. The exported PDF showed the highlighted passages in situ, but the right margin contained nothing at all! If I create a study notebook items in that outline column can be exported as part of the PDF, but for routine annotation I don’t want to have to create a study notebook. Whereas documents can be organized into folders, the study notebooks cannot so the interface quickly gets cluttered and confusing.

Hello

Do you mean exporting a pdf? If it is convenient could you attach a screenshot to illustrate the problem you encountered?

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Edward,

I believe Stuart is referring to the PDF with highlights and notes made in and exported from MarginNote being compatible with other PDF viewers. This basic feature is still not possible with MarginNote.

If you look at many of the posts in the forum, you will find that this has been a longstanding request. Would you be able to look into this and provide us with some news on the status of these requests?

1 Like

Exporting to PDF with Annotations doesn’t seem to be to be implemented or not properly.
Other PDF applications can them read them.

Highlights, comments and basic shapes should be in PDF annotations.
Other PDF readers which follow the standards can then read them.

Right margin, exporting notes and mind maps are extra features.
But basic PDF annotations should also be supported.