Feature request - Double Click a Note Card to Locate Document Location in MN4

I don’t like to open the “Auto Locate Document Location” because for most of the time, when I click on a note card, I only want to edit it instead of going to its location in the document.
But this makes me harder to go to the document location of a note card when I am really going to do so. As is shown in the video, I have to click the small arrow on the upper right of the note card, then click the index before going to the location in the document.
I think a better design could be: when one single-clicks on any point on a note card, one can edit the note card. When one double-clicks on any point on the note card, one can go to its location in the document.

I updated my MN4 to the latest version just now, and I found that by double-clicking on a note card, the window of editing the note card (as shown in the screenshot) is opened.

Now I’d like to update my proposal as follows: when the “Auto Locate Document Location” is off, the effect of single-clicking and double-clicking should be the same with status quo. When the “Auto Locate Document Location” is on, one can locate the document location of the note card only by double-clicking on it (instead of single-clicking).

On desktop (did not check iPad), when I double-click on a note card in a MindMap, it puts my insertion point at the location I double-clicked, it does not open the card edit window. I suspect that this might be because I’m double-clicking in the textual content of a text note. Perhaps images work differently?

With regards to your first post in this thread: single-click serves the purpose of selecting a note. You can then command-click to extend the selection to other notes. I realise that this could still happen if the insertion point were to become active when single-clicking but I suggest that it might be troublesome. In fact, if the insertion point is in a card (for editing) then if one command-clicks on another card, the first card is deselected. I fear this might have knock-on effects though perhaps I’m not thinking it through clearly enough.

My inclination is to keep “selection” different from “editing” (requiring two steps, or a double-click) so that the workflow remains clean and simple.

PS: I’m happy to delve into this further, it is an interesting suggestion and seems like some consideration is due.

Yes, I tried on iPad. When I double click a note card of excerpted texts, I can edit the texts. When I double click a note card of excerpted screenshot of the document (what I clicked in the video is this type of cards), I can open the editing window (as is shown in the picture in my second post).

I should admit I didn’t realize that I could edit a notecard by double-clicking on its texts/screenshots. I think this is convenient and should be preserved.
Now I update my proposal as follows:

1. Cancel the function “Auto Locate Document Location” as I mentioned in my first post. Because if “Auto Locate Document Location” is on, when one single-clicks a note card, one will both select it and go to its location in the document. And when one double-clicks a note card, one can both edit it and go to its location in the document. I don’t know how many users like this function, but I personally think this is bad because I usually only want to edit the note card instead of going to its location in the document.
  2. When one single-clicks a note card, one can select it. (the same with status quo)
  3. When one double-clicks on the texts/screenshots on a note card, one can edit them (the same with status quo).
  4. When one single-clicks the arrow on the upper-right of a note card, one can see the index of its mindmap locations and document locations. And one can still go to the location in the document in the way I showed in the video. (also the same with status quo)
  5. But besides 4, when one double-clicks the arrow on the upper-right of a note card, one can go to the location in the document. (This is a shortcut that could be added) (Well, a special case is that if a note card is merged from multiple excerpts in different pages in the document, which location should the document go to? I still have no idea about this.)
  6. (Update) In place of 5, it suddenly occurs to me that it is also feasible to materialize the function of “Auto Locate Document Location” by “single-click a note card while pressing a specific key on the keyboard”. But this can’t benefit the users (if any) who don’t have hardware keyboards and only use the onscreen keyboards of iPad.

Hi, I tried the command-click on iPad (if by “command-click” you mean pressing the “command” key on the keyboard while clicking) but I found nothing different from clicking note cards without pressing “command” key.
Though I don’t really know what you mean, I still wish the support team could consider the command-click issue you mentioned.

Command-click means “press and hold the command key, while pressing and releasing the mouse button”. Like Shift-click, or control-click this is common vernacular to refer to such actions. One can even combine them: Command-shift-click lol.

Sorry, I was probably unclear before. Click to select a card. Command-click on another card to add that other card to the selected cards, and continue. It allows you to select multiple cards. That is what I was referring to, nothing related to your post though, just an attempt to explain my thoughts.

Edit: Wow, for some reason I can no longer get command-click or shift-click to work so I guess I was mistaken there. This is inconsistent with other mac apps and should perhaps be raised as an issue.