Feature Request- Edit Table of Contents

Thanks, @Lanco_Support-Team. I tried your suggestion of re-attaching a PDF whose TOC was added with Acrobat Pro and it worked. Still, I do agree with others that some kind of TOC editing feature in MarginNote itself would be very welcome.

3 Likes

TOC editor is a must! It should be way easier to add/edit smth to the contents while reading or reviewing. This along with the inferior drag and drop functionality is making me reconsider.

1 Like

Hello

Hello, does “TOC” refer to the function of editing the PDF catalog? We don’t support this yet.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

To clarify, “TOC” refers to editing the bookmarks of a PDF file. I.e., what MarginNote imports using Import > Import notes from contents of document.

Next, you say “We don’t support this yet”. Is it on a list of planned improvements? What’s the ETA?

Without this feature, it is necessary to remove the PDF from MN, then edit the TOC with another app (and not all PDF readers can do this!), then re-attach the PDF to MN, and then re-import the bookmarks. Finally, in my experience, this also messes up the organization of any existing notes in study mode, so as a final annoying step it is necessary to move a bunch of notes around.

2 Likes

Hi, everyone.

I got an inconvenient issue with TOC.

MN3 does not wrap longer headings/paragraphs in TOC window, but hide the rest with triple dots, the window cannot be expanded and the part of the headings/paragraphs cannot be read.

Devs, please, fix that problem.

Hello

In the Marginnote3 project, we do not have any plan to support “TOC Edit”. This feature may not be implemented in the short term, but we will consider adding it in a future version.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Hello

“does not wrap longer headings/paragraphs in TOC window”

Thank you for pointing out this problem, would you be able to upload some screenshots about it?

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

See the requested video of the screen.

Another issue - I discovered that TOC is differently present in ePub and pdf documents. One is able to see sections and all the following subsections in TOC of pdf document (headings from 1 to 4, in my case), but in case of ePub only heading 1 and heading 2, lower subsections are not there.

Is it possible for devs to unlock TOC headings 3-4 at least for ePub documents? Would be much appreciated

I found this thread via Google and created an account to express how disappointing it was to see the decision at the end of it. In Document mode, the “Contents” are very conveniently placed in the UI but I rarely encounter PDFs that have them populated.

I’ll give you a use case: I’m a grad student in Data Science and go through a lot of PDF readings. I use document mode to take mild annotations either while watching lectures or browsing on my iPad without a keyboard. It would be extremely helpful to build out the catalog as I go so I can navigate around easily. If I need to jump into a document and quickly reference a specific section, I am required to open up an entire interface that is more in my way and it makes the experience very clumsy. Study mode is a wonderful product and I understand wanting to encourage its use, but often it is more clutter than I need for a specific task. Not to seriously propose more work, but it would actually be a super convenient option to have editing the catalog also populate the outliner in the mind map. It would probably encourage me to use it more.

Document mode is fantastic and it’s why I’ve considered moving more of my content here. The catalog menu is one tap away from the main screen, you have built this metadata into a prominent UI position that is useless 90% of the time. If I have to go into another app to make browsing navigation useful, then that app is where I’m going to do all of my browsing.

Sometimes I need a good PDF reading app more than I need an amazing research app, and that will especially be the case after I graduate. Not sure I’m enough of a data point to matter, but it’s sad how close this is to being a very good casual app.

2 Likes

Thanks, @jdsantos, you have expressed my own frustration with MN very well.

It’s sad how close this app is to being a really good reading/study/research tool.

Maybe LiquidText or another vendor will jump on this.

1 Like