Flexible mindmap layout

Love the mindmap feature but it dominates the notetaking area, especially because you can only choose between vertical and horizontal map layouts. A “free” map layout where connections can be moved anywhere around the parent card would allow for a more flexible map organization. The extra space to draw around the card with PencilKit would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Hello

Would you please upload some screenshots or videos describing it in detail? That way I can help you better.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Can we change the mindmap layouts by ourselves ? (Instead of only vertical or horizontal , something Iike LiquidText)

By doing so, users can putting related experts together and at the same time minimize the mindmap( now there are to many blank spaces)

1 Like

Hello

The free layout of the cards is not possible in the box branch, maybe you can try to create a child-map.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

I feel your pain and for the first couple weeks of using MarginNote I had these very thoughts. Even the fact that Mind Maps by their very nature should be ‘free’ of constraints. I’ve also played extensively with LiquidText which does allow for such freedom.

Here is where I’ve found my thinking: I end up with so many nodes and links that being able to freely lay them out would quickly become more of a chore than useful. I found in LiquidText I was spending more time trying to get things to fit than actually doing research or useful note taking and that got in the way of productivity.

Even iThoughts, which bills itself as a mind mapping tool, allows for only limited freedom and I have come to understand there is a reason for this. Not only is there a reason, but I’m grateful I don’t have to think about things like the ‘job’ of putting things where I want them. Instead I can put them where they need to be.

In your example (one that I often fretted about early on) I now merge or make children those notes that need to be visually next to another. Failing that I make links which I still believe should be more clearly displayed. I know it’s a sacrifice but it’s the price I pay for a very highly organised mapping of excerpts from what might be many source documents.

Also, I’ve not used the pencil much because of this. I would love the integrate the pencil into my workflow but the fact that the structure is present I find it just quicker to drag things around and notate by typing so everything falls into place.

I’m not making excuses for this. I hope you don’t see it that way. I’d love for there to be a ‘free’ mode. I’d like to add that to my workflow and stay in MarginNote while doing so. I wouldn’t want to lose this structure though now that I’m accustomed to working with it. There are solutions like a “let it all hang out” option that lets you put anything anywhere and then a “clean it all up” option that pushes everything back into place.

Personally, I’d like a fourth MN mode (Document, Study, Review, and… Play?) where I can just throw my cards around with abandon :slight_smile: