HAND WRITING/SCRIBBLE support for nodes (title and comments)

If this is supported for PDFs, I don’t see why it couldn’t be supported for the nodes themselves. You’re already even capable of editing images directly in the node with markup. So many times I just want to quickly jot down a note with my pencil but then I’m forced to put my pencil down and type with my hands - ugh. No I don’t have a keyboard, that’s what marginnote on my Mac is for, I have both. I really don’t mind if the hand writing is not searchable such as in other note taking apps because essentially - summary mode (forgot what that’s called) would still work It would just not be searchable - unless you implement this recognition along with your current subscription model or something. It’s an IPAD APP - hand writing please guys, I don’t want a duplicate of my Mac app (although with sidecar it’s now possible to also hand write inside the Mac app too)… please seriously consider this, it’s annoying me to no end I hate typing (I use my iPad a lot more than my Mac these days and I know some people are the same) thanks, sorry for the semi rant but please dev team :pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2: Thank you for implementing the multi window support also recently, the app gets better and better :muscle:t2:

4 Likes

Actually, I just read your new subscription service DOES support handwriting recognition. Fantastic. But pretty much useless for nodes until a scribble option is implemented for nodes (not the PDF) OR like most apps if an Apple Pencil is detected that it will automatically support hand writing (I have an Apple Pencil specifically bought for this purpose for GoodNotes). And yes I am aware you can hand write on the PDF itself and then excerpt this - that’s two steps and what if I don’t have a PDF I want to annotate? What if I want to start a mind map for my ideas. Thank you

1 Like

Something like this - amazing!

1 Like

Hi Mellyboo,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your suggestions.

Last month, we had made great efforts on changing Hand Writing engine into PencilKit. But unfortunately, we noticed that PencilKit has too much limits in its Data openness which could not work well with MN’s Outliner and Mindmap SQL database. So according to Apple’s Kit experience, Kits like Icloud, AR, PencilKIT always comes to mature when 3.0. Marginnote will adopt PencilKit once stage is suitable.

We have changed the optimization plan with Hand Writing. By updating a new data processing with Writing, the hand writing delay will have a substantial decrease. This update will coming with 3.5.x in minor version as Plugging up Apple’s PDF engine loophole takes our time with 3.5.0(An Announcement about PDF Flick Crash and Importing BUGs) .

Kind Regards,
Lanco
Support Team

Would you suggest that I make a blank PDF to write on and to excerpt them to get around this for now? I don’t know how time consuming this could get.

Edit: would this excerpt be Recognised since it would be done inside the PDF itself? That could steer me towards the subscription as I already have advanced devonthink capabilities but live updating into OCR would be fantastic for hand written excerpts inside marginnote. If I didn’t have devonthink this subscription would be a no brainer for $10 a year - I don’t know why people are complaining, for this sort of technology that is a great price… for devonthink it costs $200 to own

EDIT 2: ABBY within devonthink doesn’t support OCR of hand written notes. How are you guys having ocr of notes? Baidu?

1 Like

When I complete my test, I will give you my suggestions.

Hi Mellyboo,

Although with a blank PDF, MarginNote could be used as a handwriting notebook. It is more suggested to use Notablility or Goodnotes to do so, as MN Handwriting Recognition is imperfect by now.

Write things down with Notability and export the note to Marginnote, and import that note to your Study mind map.Notability preserves recognized handwritten texts in the exported note you now you can search your handwritten texts in Marginnote and at the same time enjoy Marginnote’s mindmap cabailities.

Lanco
Support Team

sounds like a good compromise for now. thanks

1 Like

Hi there,
I wonder if the improvement of hadwritting in notes is something still considered by development team.

Indeed, me and my students use MN3 to review books and lessons (I’m university physics teacher) but we moved to LiquidText for practical exercices 2y ago because of better handwritting capability is needed for math. I would definetly prefer to have one app to do both and I think MN3 is close to it. Just need handwritting like in Notability for example (no OCR needed).

Hello, what is your review of Apple’s native PDF handwriting tool?

Regards.

Hello,
if you are talking about Scribble, this is not what I was talking about since it has no math capability.
If you are talking about true handwritting (no OCR), any tool that does not include a “zoom box” cannot be considered as good handwritting app (see Notability or Upad for good ones). I do not use the Apple native tool but I don’t think it has the zoom capability.

I understand from your answer that handwritting is still something discussed :smile:

Edit: I just took a few minutes to try the Apple handwritting tool:

• write 2 or 3 words or very simple math in the pdf —> ok
  • write a line of text or a reasonably long equation need writer to manually zoom in (pinch with finger) and scroll (2 fingers) by hand very often. (I mean, in order to have a decently readable shape with decently small writing size)
  • write a few line or a set of equations is almost impossible
    This is solved in apps involving zoom-box (and handwritting smoothing)

Hello

Thanks for your comment, This is all we really wanted to know.

• write 2 or 3 words or very simple math in the pdf —> ok
  • write a line of text or a reasonably long equation need writer to manually zoom in (pinch with finger) and scroll (2 fingers) by hand very often. (I mean, in order to have a decently readable shape with decently small writing size)
  • write a few line or a set of equations is almost impossible
    This is solved in apps involving zoom-box (and handwritting smoothing)

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Hello,
I’m glad this helps.
To be cristal clear: second bullet point (about line of text and equation) is a negative point. write a line becomes: write 2 words --> scroll right --> write 2 words --> scroll right --> and so on… it is a pain.

best regards

exactly. I am looking for this feature too!