Handwriting recognition

I really love the work you do. MarginNote is my favorite tool to work with and with every update it gets better. Thanks for your efforts.
But there is one thing that me and other users are desperately missing. I need the handwriting OCR to be searchable and being able to copy it as text and insert it somewhere else. Also it should be searchable if I export the Mindmaps as PDFs.

That would be awesome.

2 Likes

Hello

We are very delighted that you have been enjoying our app and thank you so much for your advice.

For the handwriting OCR searchable/copying as text, if you are suggesting a function that Apple did in Notes App, unfortunately Apple did not open this API to all developers (and we have planned to submit this suggestion to open this API in WWDC), and our current manpower cannot support developing such technology ourselves, so sadly we will just wait and see.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team

Dear MarginNote Team,

thanks for your reply. I do understand that it is a difficult task, that requires a lot of manpower to implement handwriting OCR. So I will wait then and see how apple is responding to your suggestion.
May I ask another question though? As there are very good products already on the market that have perfect handwriting OCR like GoodNotes, Nero, ZoomNotes, Notability and such, would it be possible for you, to have a collaboration on that point with one of them? I am happy to pay for something like that as an add-on, as it would be improving my working with MarginNote substantially.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Best Regards

Hello

Ticket #FR2177
Thread Entry: 2021/4/17 22:15

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Aric
Support Team

Hello

it is difficult to have a collaboration with other app.It would be hard to ask another APP to provide technical knowledge for MarginNote 3.but i need this function too.because there is too much handwriting in my note .it is difficult to find them by search.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Aric
Support Team

Hi Aric,

thanks for reaching out to me. I understand that this is difficult with a lot of other app developers. But I can remember, that MyScript offers an api to implement in your apps.

Might that be a possibility? Good to know that you have the same issue as I am having :-).
Hopefully somehting will come up that works.

Kind regards

Elmar

Hello

Mainly because of the Pencil Kit used by the current handwriting module. Apple did not develop this interface for the handwriting recognition of this module.

If you want to use the handwriting api of goodnotes, we need to use the handwriting module of goodnotes, which may be more complicated. Maybe in the future we will use some other methods to achieve the same function

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Aric
Support Team