Highlighting notes but not adding them to Mindmap

I’m new to MarginNote 3 and have been quite impressed with it so far. I’m still on the 14-day trial but will probably get both the iPad and Mac version.

I’m reading a PDF/book in which highlights I make are automatically added to a MindMap notebook. However, there are some highlights that I don’t want added, highlights that I make simply because they are interesting to see when re-reading but nothing important for a MindMap notebook. Is there a way to have certain highlights not become part of the MindMap notebook?

1 Like

Welcome to the amazing MarginNote :slight_smile:

If you turn off Auto Add to Mind Map under the gear icon at the top of your document then highlights won’t automatically be added, however you will have to click “+ Add to Mind Map” on the command bar after making a highlight for them to be added to the mind map.

Yes, I figured that.

However, most of the time I want it to be auto added.

So is there a way to remove certain auto-added notes in the MindMap notebook without also removing the highlight in the document itself? I tried this and I may be performing it incorrectly, but each time I remove an note in the MindMap notebook, the corresponding highlight also goes away in the document.

I seem to remember disconnecting a node from the highlight but after looking again I don’t see any way to do that. Either I was using another program or I somehow stumbled across the feature accidentally. Hopefully one of the support folk are able to answer this. If the feature to disconnect a node from a highlight isn’t in the project then it should be.

Thank you for looking! Much appreciated :slight_smile:
I’m hoping for a solution.

So my specific situation is that in the midst of reading the introduction to this book, the authors go about saying what each chapter does (a summary). Then it said if you don’t want to know the framework of our approach but rather just dive into the stories, you can skip Chapter 1, but if you are a student in a class that uses this book, you might not ace the course if you skip this chapter!

I thought that was kinda funny. This is NOT a textbook. So I wanted to highlight that text for future giggles, but it is totally unimportant for my use of this book :slight_smile:

This is one of my biggest complaints about MarginNote [which I love love LOVE]: I want to have a TEXT highlighter as as ANNOTATION TOOL, rather than it being ONLY a side effect of the text excerpt tool.

Highlighting using a tool that works with text (rather than drawing on the screen) is MUCH faster than trying to underline things manually, and the result is more easily seen (and more attractive). And having to toggle “Auto Add to Mind Map” with multiple taps whenever you just want to highlight something is difficult and unnecessary. Even worse, new users don’t know about that function, and have to go through a lot of experimentation or asking on the forum to figure out how to do this! :frowning:

It already takes new users a long time to figure out why some tools they use on documents create mind map nodes every time they are used while others do not. If there was a separate highlighter in the ANNOTATE section, it would help users understand the difference between icons that extract information to the mind map, vs ones that only annotate the document!

I recommend:

• in the EXCERPT tools, when the text excerpt tool (icon of “A” with double underline) is active, if it is clicked/tapped, that the pop-up (that now shows “text selection mode”) provides a palette of colors–including NO color. There can even be a title of “Also highlight:”. Then the user can see that they excerpting text, and are also making highlights, if desired.
  • in the ANNOTATION tools, there should be a highlighter icon (“A” on a yellow background), that also will pop up a palette of colors if tapped again. Using that tool would ONLY highlight text.

Please, please, please consider this! :pray:

1 Like