Import a pdf with pre-existing highlights and notes created with macos preview

Hi,
I remember in the past I was asked by MN3 if I would like to import highlights and notes, I’ve taken using Macos preview, as MN highlights. In fact I have old pdfs stored with this kind of highlights.
I’ve recently tried to do the same on macos but pre-existing highlights are not recognized by MN. I have both iOs and MacOS versions of mn maybe in the past I did this from ios instead.
Thanks in advance for help.

1 Like

Hello

Can it be displayed on IOS but not on mac?

Kind Regards,

Support Team

I tried the same pdfs both on ios and macos, highlights and notes are not indexed. I see the highlights on the pdfs but they don’t appear in the notes list.

Hello

How about trying to sync via iCloud?

Kind Regards,

Support Team

Already tried. So you confirm to me that highlights done with MacOS preview should be recognized, right?

Hello

No, I want to make sure that if I come from the backup, this problem should not occur.

Kind Regards,

Support Team

I apologize but I don’t get you.
I’m not sure highlights done with third-party editors are recognized, do I remember correctly ?

Hello

Yes, you are right.

Kind Regards,

Support Team

Ok, I tried also from iOs importing pdfs I’ve just highlighted on the ipad but same issue, highlights are not present in the document (I see the colour) but not indexed in anyway.

Is there something else I could try ?

You could try the Import → PDF Annotations functionality. This should allow importing annotations created with third party editors including Preview.

It’s actually expected that third party editor highlights aren’t recognized until one does this.

Sometimes but not always MN asks whether to import the annotations. But if it doesn’t, then you need to manually trigger this import.

2 Likes