Importing PDF annotations

I’m sure in version 3 that if I imported a PDF with annotations added elsewhere then MN3 would offer to import them as MN3 annotations. Maybe I imagined it, or MN4 lost that feature, or I am missing something.

Anyone tried this or got it to work?

1 Like

I just did a quick test in MN3 because I never saw this when I used it. If I import a PDF that has been annotated in DevonThink I can “three dot menu"→"import” and choose annotations but it’s truly funky and imports bitmaps that I then have to OCR.

As far as version 4, I went hunting and didn’t find anything.

The one function I do remember from 3, there was a way to add annotations (that were created in MN) that we not already cards to the mind map. I know I’ve seen it in 4 but I couldn’t find it again. The UI is so confounding in MN, I’ll get used to it eventually but until then it is an uphill battle.

1 Like

Thanks @happycatmachine there seems to be a lot missing in MN 4 so far :frowning:

I was able to do this in the past for MN3 - I annotated PDF files in PDF Expert and then brought them into MN. I tried it again just now and neither MN3 nor MN4 “see” or import the annotations. The applications now seem to flatten the PDF on import, Not sure when MN3 lost that functionality, as I haven’t worked with it for a while and there have been updates in the interim.