Is MarginNote a DEAD app? Are developers still here?

Still nothing.

What is going on??

I love MarginNote.
I love the concept that ideas and knowledge (PDF, Lecture Videos) can be viewed in lots of perspectives (Mindmaps). I love the small features starting keyboard shortcut about folding and unfolding child maps, infinite canvas, video annotating (which is the most amazing part about MN IMO. No other apps offer this feature as I know), amazing PDF Split viewer for multi-tasking, Child map feature, giving another layer for thinking and learning about the concept.

I love this app. Size of the files are over 400GB, tons of videos and PDFs.

It’s just sad that such a great app like MarginNote became this way.
I checked the Chinese forum everyday for updates about MN4, since last year MN team posted on Chinese forum. Still nothing.

The developers made bunch of promises to users.
We all know the results.

Learning and studying is a long, long term progress.
How could user trust and use such app as a tool to learn and study, if the development and the roadmap of the app isn’t clear?

I just can’t understand the developers. Especially their attitudes and poor support.
If the problem is about profits, why don’t they consider subscription-based?
It’s not that I’m rich enough to pay every month. I hate subscription based apps.
But I hate to hear that developers keep blaming about their “small team”, “limited resources”.

How long does it take to give an short review about their progress in their app development? 30min?
If there is nothing going on with the development, why are they making empty promises they can’t make?
At least, developers should take some responsibility to their words.

Although I still use MarginNote more than 8 hours a day, I would never recommend this app for one who is seeking for a tool.

I heard Heptabase is offering video card editing in the future.
Heptabase lacks lots of feature compared to my study routine in MN, but their roadmap is clear, support is awsome.

Users who come to the forum, pointing out MN team isn’t people who hate MarginNote.
I believe most of the forum users use MarginNote heavily in a daily basis, why would they come to the forum, discuss about the app if not?

3 Likes

Sounds like fair and balanced criticism to me. I agree that it’s hard to understand why there is not more communication by the developers.

From my perspective though, relying on something like Heptabase is way more risky. It’s only been on the market for a short time, so it hasn’t proven that it is profitable enough to sustain itself.

On the other hand, MarginNote is a much more mature product. Worst case there is no further development. Fine for me if that happens, given it’s still the only tool with its capabilities on the market today.

Since MarginNote2 is still available in the App Store 4 years after the release of MarginNote3, I think we can expect MarginNote3 to be at least maintained, so that it can be used long-term.

Personally, I hope what may actually be happening is that they are focusing all efforts on getting MN4 ready and ignoring everything else.

I wouldn’t say Hepta is more risky than MN at this moment for SURE.

Hepta team actively announce their product updates via SNS, their discord is full of active users.
Hepta has no FREE plans, charging 12$ each month, no doubt that they have better monetization roadmap than MN.

Just look at the product page.
Every aspect shows MN is dying clearly.
Outdated website, no active communities, zero updates, outdated UI, macro support replies repeating they sent replies to developers.

Whether hepta is having handwriting feature in mindmap?

@Support-Team – Are you reading this? Your most devoted users are preparing to leave your app.

1 Like

Anything? No, of course, nothing …

1 Like

Two months later … again …

3 Likes

Whats the status of the update, almost 2 months are over :thinking:

1 Like

More than three months after

updates in the next few days.

What MN does for me today, is enough. I always like to play with shiny new, like anyone. But, after years of silence from MN HQ, I am merely grateful it works today on Sonoma, and hoping it will again work on macOS 15, then 16, etc. The silence from HQ means It will never be better. Just hope it doesn’t die.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s pretty much where I stand as well @quorm.

If it just stays available as-is in new MacOS versions, that would be fully satisfactory given the lack of alternatives.

As mentioned earlier, I think it seems quite likely this will be the case given that even MarginNote2 is still available today.

In the following thread, very recently the support team explicitly confirmed that there will be a new version of MarginNote and that it will become available “soon”.

Glad you feel that way. Obviously, other users are frustrated by their inability to respond. Yes, we’re grateful it “still works,” but that’s setting the bar awfully low.

They approached many of us for input as they’ve been building their latest version – and then blew us off.

Beyond that, what happens when the app doesn’t work and we need urgent tech support? That lack of comms…not a good thing.

Thanks for sharing @Nishag

Translation of the post from Chinese forum via DeepL:

“ The new version has been submitted to the App Store and is awaiting approval for release.But the Mac App Store approvers have been acting up a lot in the last few days, so it might take a few days!”

It really seems to be happening! :tada:

1 Like