Native Apple Silicon version?

Are there any plans to update the current mac version of Marginnote 3 to have it run natively on the new arm64 chips? It probably would be quite a bit of performance increase, when comparing the current ipad version to the current mac version.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello

Hi!

The native version is also on the way~

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

2 Likes

Any timeline MarginNote-Sushi?

Hello

Oops, I am sorry that we bumped into some problems while trying to support Apple Silicon natively with Devmate, and therefore we will need time before the recompiled version could be delivered. As we cannot figure out when our activation process will work on Apple silicon, I cannot give you a clear time.

The current Intel-x86 version of MarginNote runs great on the M1 Macs. The performance is wonderful, and due to the fact that x86 is not a real-time translation but rather recompiling the file, you won't have to worry too much about the performance. I am using a M1 MacBook Ai, and MarginNote 3 runs great.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Yes, I agree, it runs great through Rosetta 2. But still looking forward to native :wink:

Hello

I am looking forward too~ I am sorry that due to the limitations of the DevMate API that we use for authentication, we really cannot make a native version as or right now. We have no idea when they will update their API, but when they do, we may recompile the app for Arm64.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

I downloaded it today and I’m trying to use the trial. Unfortunately its crashing when I click on a project that I had created on the iPad, or try and add a book to a new project.

1 Like

Hello

Can you please send me a crash log (you can find it in the console app) and a screen recording of how it crashed? Thanks!

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Will do.

1 Like

Hello, I wanted to chime in maybe on the native version efforts. I think other matters are more important like bugs and reliability, esp. when editing a note with the annotation tools. I think only a very small percentage of users are going to benefit from an M1 version.
Kind regards

1 Like

Just want to you know many people like me are in urgent for apple silicon support! As I observed, most top apps like Notion, Jetbrains, Vscode, Office have supported M1 natively. And most traditional apps like Matlab, Wolfram Mathematics have given the ETA of support time. Of course, there’re some apps like Dropbox which didn’t respond to the request, and many users are searching for a replacement now, see here.

I totally understand that you may not make progress because the third-part libraries didn’t support the M1. But I really want to let you know how urgent we are; since some of you mentioned that you are also using M1 air, I believe you understand what I’m saying. :-).

I’m really looking forward to the new version!

Hi Tarasis, do you still have problems with Marginnote on your M1 Macbook?

They are not going to update their API. Devmate is being retired and they are encouraging developers to find other solutions.

https://announcement.devmate.com

Damn, so @Sushi_Support-Team what are the plans to make a native Apple silicon MN version as the DevMate API development is being discontinued?

All Macs will eventually be moving to Apple Silicon so MarginNote will have to support clients and to use future macOS features eventually.

Hello

We’ve already support apple silicon for a period. Maybe there was some misunderstanding before. We support native apple silicon instead of DevMate.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Chelsea
Support Team