New problem with OmniOutliner export

Hi,

Whenever I export a MN notebook to OmniOutliner, and open that MN-exported OmniOutliner file in OmniOutliner, I get the following message:

“Old file format: some features are disabled”

When I click on the " i " icon beside the error message, the following text appears:

“This older format does no support some more-recent features OmniOutliner features. You can upgrade the document to the current format to enable all features.”

This has been happening for quite some time (well over a year, I think), so maybe it’s time to fix this problem.

Thanks.

Hello

“some features are disabled”

Sorry I'm using Omnioutliner less, but what specific features are not available?

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

These are OmniOutliner features that aren’t available to use in an oo3 document. They are not features of the oo3 outline that are disabled. This is true of even older OmniOutliner documents that are perfectly formed. All the message is telling you (obscure though it may be) is that in the file you are working with you might not be able to use some of the new OmniOutliner 5 features until you update the document.

Nothing is lost or disabled. The error is misleading because it might make you think there is something wrong with the document. Rest assured, this is normal behavior that is in no way related to MarginNote and the message means nothing bad. Nothing is lost, nothing needs to be done to fix anything. If you choose to use OmniOutliner 5 features with an OPML export from MarginNote, simply click the button to update the document and you are good to go.

PS: A fix would mean that MarginNote files are actually LESS compatible. oo3 files are openable by a wide range of OmniOutliner versions where as oo5 files are only openable on OmniOutliner 5. Changing the format would force other users to upgrade to the latest version of OmniOutliner. My vote: no change, keep supporting older versions of OmniOutliner, they are perfectly serviceable outlining tools. I have OO5 and I don’t think I’ve used anything beyond version 3 features lol.

1 Like

Hello

Got it, looks like we can put it aside for now.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team