Please add an "Append to" option to merge additional content to a node instead of creating a child

There is this behaviour that was really convenient of the (+) button that popped up when highlighting or selecting with the “Select tool” on MarginNote 2. When dragged onto an existing node, the note would append itself to the node and not become its child. In MarginNote 3, it just creates a child.

It was especially useful when highlighting different section of a paragraph that is spanned onto different pages, for example. Or to add more content to a review card. The Framework layout could be used for this, but it would span different review cards instead of a single one.

I know you can just select a parent node and their children and Merge, but if you could add an “append to” option, it would be great.

3 Likes

I also preferred it when dragging a highlighted text to a node would merge it to the node instead of creating a child. This feels like something that should be configurable to the user’s preference.

2 Likes

I should check that out. I absolutely fell in love with v2.

It seems this feature has been added (Merge into):

For some reason this only works for docs inside MN. Otherwise, from other apps or internet it still makes a child :confused:

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the forum!

As @Jun mentioned, MN support to change the Drag n Drop behavior with excerpt. Need to be clear the Condition Precedent to the option:

Only selected text without color(not been highlighted) could be drag n drop in the set way, so:
1,Turn off lock excerpt color shortcuts
2, Turn off Drag to excerpt…

When it comes to other apps @Mellyboo , drag n drop always behavior as merge into.

In addition, MN 3.5 supports drag across multi-MN-workspace:
Just press and hold ’ Drag’ button to choose the options.

Drag n Drop mechanism is still optimizing by Team. Options regarding to Drag n Drop may be more simplified and unified in the future.

Regards,
Lanco
Support Team

1 Like

That’s what I mean, from other apps it merges into. Otherwise I need to use the in app browser

1 Like