What does "mask the highlighter on document/card" do?

What the options to “mask the emplasis on…” in the review mode do is obvioius. But there are other two in the same place:
“mask the highlighter on document”
“mask the highlighter on card”

Screenshot 2021-04-06 at 13.09.30

I can’t see any change when selecting them, nor I can find any information whatsoever in documentation, google or Forum.

What are they for?

PD. Hope this is the right category to place this question. Let me know if not, and I’ll move it.

Hello,.

About the first two options: you can use the highlighter in the card editor or directly on the PDF. In the past, only the former of these two kinds of highlighting would become masking. But now we offer the option, which means that the masking object can be customized. I hope this works for you.

Regards.

Hi @Edward_Support-Team,

Thanks for answering. It is good to know the Marginote treated emphasis done on the pdf differently than that made in the card editor. Yet, I’ve make highlights both directly on the pdf and in the card editor (on a comment already on the review queue) then trying every possible combination of “Mask the highlighter on document”, “Mask the highlighter on card” and " Mask the Empahsis in text” (all ON, OFF), and switching the first two on/off doesn’t have any effect whatsoever. Only “Mask the Emplasis in text” shows or hides the “emphasized” text, regardless of the button state for the first two options…

If I understood you correctly this behaviour isn’t expected. What’s wrong then?

Hello

If you use PencilKit mode, the difference will be obvious, please check this screen recording.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Regards.

Oh, so I see that when you say “highlights made directly in the pdf” you don’t mean highlights made in the RemNote document view, nor highlights that were made directly in the pdf with a regular pdf reader before sending it to MarginNote, but mean highlights done on a Tablet with a pen… If I’m right, that’s good to know (I’m not using a tablet at the moment but I might use it in the future), thanks!.

I guess that the difference between a highlight made “in the doc” vs “in the card” is that both “highlights” refer always to what you do with a pen in a tablet, and not to the regular highlight you do on a desktop (for the desktop you can only mask the “emphasis” then). Thus, in a tablet you can decide whether to mask the highlights made on the document or the ones done in the card, but this is only aplicable to tablets, not regular highlights made with a mouse or desktop. Am I right?

You are correct in your understanding that Pencilkit is a feature only supported on iPad and not on Mac.

Regards.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Edward for your explanations and pics/videos…

Then, if those options are only for Pencilkit may I suggest to remove them from MacOs? Not a priority for me though, but removing sth is normally not too complicated…

Hello

Your question is valuable, but removing these settings on the Mac may not be a good option at the moment, as there may be users who need to handwrite on the iPad and then review the cards on the Mac.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Ups, you’re right.

Best