Why does MarginNote on Mac have symlinks/shortcuts to the user folders in the "data" folder like: Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Music, etc? Also. 3.7.5. update bug -- user Downloads folder linked to Data/Documents folder

Basically the title. Was trying to figure out about the symlink issue I have with my files in MarginNote after the update.

I think I saw those weird shortcuts to me before but ignored them, but right now I’m quite concerned why the MarginNote container folder has these shortcuts?

Actually, MarginNote even created a link to my “Downloads” folder inside the Data/Documents folder after the 3.7.5 updated. I was quite surprised about this, I deleted that symlink immediately since it’s wrecking my documents list.

Hello

MarginNote will never try to access your files other than what you imported - we can assure that.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team

1 Like

It would be helpful to actually answer the poster’s question: why are the symlinks/shortcuts there?

He/she did say they were “wrecking the documents list”. That sounds serious enough to merit a fuller response.

Hello

I have confirmed with our developer team.

MarginNote does not have such shortcut as you described. We value our customers' privacy very much and will never access files secretly without informing you.

Our guess is that this is created by other parasitic apps in this folder.

If you still fill worried, you can try to back up all files and then operate a thorough uninstall - install, and see if it helps.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team

@valcroft If you back out and look at other apps you will see that they ALL have a Data>links to those folders in them. MarginNote is not alone, every single app (even Chess) has these alias folders. This is the case after a fresh system install as well. While I don’t know the file system or why they are there, they are ubiquitous and are likely harmless.

1 Like

Could you be a bit more clear about this? Every app installs these shortcuts, every one of them. How is this “wrecking your documents list”, to which list are you referring? Recent Documents? Documents in MarginNote? I can’t fathom how this affects any document list and to try to guess at any meaning would be fruitless I think.

For this Downloads link, this occurred right after the latest MarginNote update I had for 3.7.5.

What happened was under /Users/<my user name>/Library/Containers/QReader.MarginStudyMac/Data/Documents a symlink to my /Users/<my user name>/Downloads suddenly appeared after the update. I noticed it instantly since when upon using the “search file” functionality inside MarginNote which I always use to go view my files, files from the Downloads folder suddenly appeared and “doubles” also started appearing (at the time I was reading files that I just downloaded that day, so haven’t actually cleared my Downloads folder yet. and there were files that I didn’t put in MarginNote so they were pretty obvious). Noting, that what I do is I “copy” files from my Downloads folder to my MarginNote so they should be separate files.

So this was surprising to me tbh. And so I thought it might be an unexpected behavior.

Nice to get clarification on the other symlinks/shortcuts tho! :smiley: Thanks!

Thanks for this assurance! :smiley:

Hello

Thank you for your support!

Glad to see this is just a misunderstanding.

Enjoy our app!

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team