Will one day be possible to export a "conventional" PDF?

For the annotation of PDFs, MarginNote is BEST tool (forget about mindmap and other features).

However, it doesn’t interact well with other pdf annotators such as Acrobat or pdf expert. The exporting feature of MN3 saves the notes on the side, in a weird, non-manageable format.

Would it be possible to export a pdf with annotations saved as notes of highlights, just as in any other pdf annotation tool? Thanks.

Maybe you can export as a word document and print that as pdf?

Hello, we may consider integrating a more generic PDF excerpting tool. In addition to excerpting, the storage and management of documents may also be updated in the future in a more generic way.
This is a long-term effort.
Regards.

Thank you for responding.

One related use case would be adding comments to pdfs that are stored in Zotero. Suppose there are thousands of papers, and you need a pdf tool to annotate on each paper. It would be great to use MN to view and add comments on the pdfs.

Hello

"add comments" seems to be another kind of data of PDF file? In fact it is currently more likely to change to common data only the handwritten part of the PDF.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

I left Marginnote because of the non compatibility with standard PDF export. I will come back as soon as the underlining-highlighting is exportable in standard PDF underlining-highlighting.

1 Like

By “adding comments” I mean the note text that can be associated with highlights. This is present in virtually any PDF reader.

MN is much more powerful in associating data with highlighted text, but it’s also incompatible in the way it saves files. The easiest way seems to be able to export a pdf with notes which can be opened by other PDF viewers with commenting capabilities (Acrobat reader, PDF expert, etc.)

The difference is how the pdf is formatted: instead of the notes being placed at the margins, they could be hideable like other PDF readers. Please get in touch if you need examples.

Hello

I see, you mean the highlighted parts can be used in common with other PDF readers.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Yes, exactly. This would make MN much more amenable to a population of users who now do not see in MN as a good alternative.

1 Like

I would also really like to see this.

Is this thread accepted and worked on? I would also like to see “conventional” PDF features being incorporated. With features like flexcil or pdf expert it is better for annotation and more user friendly there is less trouble for data migration.

Currently, without mindmap exporting a normal annotated PDF file becomes ‘non PDF’ like (page aspect reformatted) and the file size becomes humongous.

This is one of several reasons I have to annotate in PDF Expert and then bring files into MarginNote for excerpting. It would be nice to be able to do everything on MN3.

This would be extremely useful. I am still not sure whether to continue with MN or not and lack of compatible pdf-with-highlights export is the main reason why I might give up on it.

2 Likes

Hello

Yes... We have been working on it.

We are negotiating with some PDF-export tech companies.

But it could take some time.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-QSD
Support Team

1 Like

Will it be supported in MarginNote 4?

Is there any update about that ?

Will it be supported in MarginNote 4?