YouTube video support

I recently discovered the annotation abilities of marginnote with mp4 video files. This set of features is very innovative, forward thinking, and potentially very powerful!

The only drawback I see is that the user has to upload an mp4 file. While mp4 upload can be useful as a feature, I believe it would be more powerful to be able to add hosted online videos from YouTube, Kahn academy, Coursera, edX, LinkedIn learning, etc. Many class courses and lectures are hosted online and there is no solution that exists to markup and annotate these video notes in the way marginnote has the potential to with time stamped annotations and links!

+1 feature request for annotating hosted videos in marginnote !

6 Likes

Hi WFG,

Yes, itā€™s a a very inspiring feature if MN cloud make annotations with online video. We will do seriously consider this improvement. Thanks very much for your suggestion.

Welcome new to the forum! Looking forward to your experience sharing about MN usage in the future.

Regards,
Lanco
Support Team

3 Likes

It would be the best feature ever!
I would love be able to take smart notes on Videos with MN.

2 Likes

Hello, supporting online video excerpts is indeed a tempting idea, we will consider it.

2 Likes

would be really good to support embedding videos from YouTube.

It d be best improvement.

I Think developers could solve this issue with seperated browser

Any progress ?

Plans for the video look to be currently behind the Brain Map Recall mode and Pencil gestures.
The video feature in general hasnā€™t started yet, itā€™s just in the conceptualization stage.
Regards.

1 Like

Hey Edward, I understand itā€™s hard to give certain times but Couldnā€™t you give general time about when is update? (Next month, year or decade :upside_down_face:)

Hello
:blush:

I can't tell the exact time.

I donā€™t have the permission here to describe any development progress that falls into the requirements category, except for the time forecast for bug fixes.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

You can download youtube videos and drag them into MarginNotes.
Simply use youtube-dl. Itā€™s open source and supports all the videos sites from twitter to vimeo to youtube, even with password logins. It restarts failed downloads and ensures you never download a file twice. It allows downloads of entire youtube channels if you wish or all the videos on a web page you are studying. Then you can just drag the videos into DEVONthink or into MarginNotes or whatever you are using for your video database.

Does anybody know if there are hotkeys for playing videos in MarginNotes? Iā€™m searching for a way to hit play and have it play/pause the videos. Also wondering if there is a way to turn on the audio wave form so that I can cut the video where the person stops talking and see that in advance rather than have to listen to the entire track. I want to quickly cut all the video tracks and then go through an annotate them. If I had a visual way to see the audio, I could do it faster.

Oh, by the way, lots of other features in that downloader. You can download transcripts of videos from youtube with youtube-dl as well. https://youtube-dl.org/

Thanks!

Dont get me wrong, but ı real dont understand single part of the GitHup (as much as I understand itā€™s the githup related file etc.). Maybe because of I m the only iPad user. Can you give link or exact file to import add on to MarginNote please ?

1 Like

Yes, well there are plenty of tutorials on installing this tool. I use a mac mini, so Iā€™m running MarginNote on OSx, not on an iPad. So, when I see a video, I just copy the link and go to my command line and type youtube-dl ā€˜How To Install youtube-dl on macOS - YouTubeā€™ and itā€™s done. That link, by the way is a video that will show you how to install youtube-dl on a mac. As you can see itā€™s a as simple as running ā€˜brew install youtube-dlā€™. Basically, you just download the tool from the package manager server.

Then you will see your video in finder and you can drag it to MarginNote 3 and you are good to go for doing your video annotation.

I just need to be able to see the audio wave form on the video or perhaps have a tool such as ā€œfind silenceā€ where the tool will automatically split the video into piecesā€¦ In fact, I think thatā€™s what I will go find now. Iā€™m sure there is a tool that will cut the video into bite size pieces for studying and I can then use the tools inside MarginNote 3 to do the outline of the video. Will be nice if that is all integrated and itā€™s also why I mention the youtube-dl tool. Since itā€™s open source, anybody can use it in their product, so perhaps on iOS, the developers here will be able to use the same technology for you guys on tablets. I find the tablets cumbersome and I prefer 4k and larger screens, so itā€™s just not practical right now to own a tablet for my workflow and Iā€™m glad they offer a mac version of MN 3.

Hereā€™s one tool that cuts the silence.

Itā€™s $99. Crazy eh? Twice the price of MarginNote. So just adding this one feature would make MarginNote 3 sell for $150 per license instead of just under $50. Sounds like a good idea to me to add thisā€¦ If MarginNote would find the silence like that and automatically build the study card view, it would be fantastic.

Hello

We have developed online video excerpts in the beta version, but this development has been temporarily terminated due to copyright reasons.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

Hi there support team. Are there any plans on bringing this feature back or is it gone forever? Thanks.

1 Like

Itā€™s truly a shame that this feature was developed but has been scrapped.

I seriously donā€™t understand how this can ever infringe copyright since there are a bunch of other apps that embed youtube videos.

this issue is so important.
if you can make this it is absolutelly revolotion like writng on mind maps update

@Relight_Support-Team
@Support-Team

This feature alone could help me talk many people into using MarginNote and personally make me use this application for everything because I am constantly watching and reviewing lectures. Itā€™s painful to see that this progress is paused.