Academic use - workflow / hints, please?

Hi, I worried about this a lot at the start too, but then I was persuaded by another person on this (or maybe the Devonthink) forum to not look for a perfect system and not worry about duplicated documents. That person’s method, if I remember correctly, was too duplicate it marginnote, annotate it, make the relevant notes / derive the required information, then they had no further use for the annotated document, so they deleted it. I’m not sure I will take quite that route, but it made me more own to allowing duplication.

I think (but I’m not sure) it’s possible to index the marginnote folder into devonthink, but I decided against investigating that in the end.

I’m also a user of Devonthink Pro, I has indexed one folder belongs to the library of MN3( iCloud Drive/MarginNote 3 ).

For the present situation, I have to endure some documents occupied in two locations

1. ~/Documents
  2. iCloud Drive/MarginNote 3

this seems to waste my storage.

1 Like

Can you please explain how to use links to create a concept map? I feel very constrained by the mind-map - really it is just sequenced excerpts, and it is very difficult and time-consuming to rebuild those excerpts into something more useful. But the “concept-map” you mentioned sounds more like how I would like to use MN. Can you please elaborate on how to do/create this using links as you mentioned?

Hi Irc. Just wanted to comment about reading several documents: I could integrate the notes of 7 documents into one mind map - MarginNote has a feature for that. Hope its helpful

Do you have an example how to achieve the zettelkadten method you could share to help us in the good direction ?

1 Like

Two things would help with better academic workflow with others apps

1. Allowing for linking files and annotating them in other apps (So pdf would sit in another folder and would be only linked to margin note library
  • Mindmaps would be accessible only from marginnote note, but annotation like highlighter should be intercheable with other apps, making annotation in other app and oppening it in marginnote would create an excerpt that use could put to mindmap
  1. Allow MN to work with Hook for single excepts and notes https://hookproductivity.com/
5 Likes

I’m still looking for an app to do the annotations on my iPad. My workflow is very similar to the one described by @bart (DevonThink, Tinderbox, Scrivener, Bookends).
I like the way MN3 works a lot. But because there is no working export of the PDFs including my annotations I will stay with Highlights on the iPad. The PDF export is not usable at all. No annotations were exported and also the character set of the PDF is not usable. If I annotate in a PDF exported by MN3 in DevonThink I only see garbage and no text for the annotated text part. The export of separate rtfs for DevonThink is no option for me.
To see AppleScript support for MN3 is a nice new feature. If the PDF export follows the Adobe standard format for annotations MN3 would become a great companion for my work.

3 Likes

Hello

In the future, Marginnote may provide a non-flattened PDF export function.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Edward
Support Team

3 Likes