Exported PDFs are huge

I would like to use MarginNote not only to generate summaries and mindmaps but also to annotate PDFs that I can then import into DevonThink. However, the exported PDFs, even with margin notes and mindmaps removed, are huge, and much larger than the original PDF (e.g. 2.6 MB to >20 MB after annotation). The original PDFs are scientific articles. Trying to use tools to decrease PDF size does not work. Would it be possible for exported PDFs to not be so huge?
jason

I can confirm the issue.
I would like to adopt a workflow like the one described by @jhbarker but that’s not possible as long as exported files are so big (a 6.4 MB pdf resulted in a 116 MB exported file).

I can alse see another problem with exported pdf: MN3 notes aren’t converted to PDF annotations understood by Preview, PDFexpert, and all other PDF viewers. E.g. a portion of highlighted text cannot be selected/deletd/modified with the highlight tool; it’s simply a spot of colored background on the page.

thanks for following up. It would be nice if the export included MN annotations as standard PDF annotations.
jason

I agree. It’s difficult to integrate mn3 to my workflow due to this.