【FAQ】Collecting Problems with Sync + Troubleshooting

Hi Jsjee,

Welcome new to the Forum. Looking forward to more experience sharing about MN usage in the future.

Thanks, a very pertinent comment. Wifi transfer is coming soon!

Best Regards,
Lanco
Support Team

Hi! My trouble is that I usually dont get an error when trying to sync, but sometimes it flashes very quickly database error and then when I click Show error I get this.

Also it says the database has synced, but when I have changed the name of the mindmap on my ipad and have put files in and that hasn’t shown on my macbook yet. Also when I try to do click on icloud sync and mindmap notebook, it takes forever and it says fetching data from iCloud? Does that mean it is uploading or downloading the information to iCloud and to my macbook later, or?:’) Im not good with computer language sorry! Does signing in to evernote work better maybe or are there some tips and tricks that I’m unfamiliar with?

Hello, Marithalie,

I’m sorry that this problem troubles you. It is really a bug and we will fix it as soon as possible. But don’t worry, as there is nothing showed between the bracket, it means no errors and the database has synced successfully.

Sincerely,
Bryan
MN Support Team

I dunno why but suddenly I don’t have any syncing problems anymore. I haven’t done anything in particular which has helped sadly, maybe the app got scared from all the critiques:’) Well good day!:slight_smile:

1 Like

I have problems with syncing Doc notebook, MindMap Notebook and Card Deck on my iPad pro 2017. the Document sync well. It stuck at “正在从iCloud获取数据”
My other device can sync well: Mac mini 2018, iPad mini 2019, iPhone XR.

this four Prtscs is from my iPad pro 12.9 2017

update
After resetting mariginnote app and iCloud part of mariginnote, it works.

Hello,Logan,

Welcome to the MarginNote Forum and thanks for the information provided.

Yes, as you can see, the app may need some time to fetch data from iCloud. And the sync speed depends on iCloud, web quality and some other potential factors.

But I can promise to all of you devoted users, our group members now are trying hard to find bugs from sync errors and finally handle them. And we will highly appreciate it if you can give us feedbacks when you meet some sync problems.

Sincerely,
Bryan

Hi Logan,
May I ask you more details on the steps you followed to make it work?

Hi MarginNote Team,
My first message here, just to let you know that your app is amazing and definitely a life changer!

I seem to have the same issue than Logan, (currently on an Ipad Air 2019, with plenty of space on Icloud, and a strong Wifi).

My documents have no issue getting synced with my Icloud as you can see on the picture below:

But for my decks, notes and mindmaps, It keeps 'fetching data from Icloud forever !

I have checked my Icloud drive on my Ipad and on my laptop, only documents (pdfs) are stored. Which means there is nothing to retrieve.

I tried to ‘sync manually’ one document to see if that could fix my issue, but the pop up message on the screenshot below never disappeared.

I then clicked on the three dots on the bottom left to see if anything had changed, it kept ‘downloading 1 Notebook’

I’ve already tried to :

• turn off/on Icloud on MN3, through my Ipad setting.
  • turn off/on the device
  • quit the app and making sure it wasn’t running in the background before restarting it.

Nothing seems to work so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you all and Stay safe !

2 Likes

I have mentioned this before, but I think a big part of the sync problem is that the Mac version stores 2 copies of each document: one copy in the iCloud folder, and one copy in a hidden folder: Library > Containers > QReader.MarginStudyMac > Data > Documents. For those of us with large databases (I have over 12GB of PDFs), this results in a double file size.

When using MarginNote 3 on Mac, it seems like it loads documents from the hidden QReader.MarginStudyMac, whereas the iPad version loads documents from the iCloud folder. This means that there are two sync processes going on: the iPad syncs documents to the iCloud folder, and then the documents have to be synced from the iCloud folder to QReader.MarginStudyMac. I think this might explain why syncing takes so long.

It also explains some problems I have had in the past, such as disappearing documents. There have been a few times where I dropped PDFs into the iCloud folder, only to have those documents vanish. If MarginNote for Mac were to use ONLY the iCloud folder to store documents, I think that would make things a lot smoother.

2 Likes

Hi,Aurelius
In fact, on ios, MarginNote’s files are not displayed, nor is the data read directly from iCloud. Adding documents to iCloud may not save properly due to sync issues, so it is recommended to add them directly to the MarginNote local folder in QReader or in iOS’s itunes.

Yeah, while browsing through my system I also noted that the Mac Version stores its Notebook data in Library, while the IOS seems to run on Icloud stored stuff.

What is particularly strange is that for me the Sync is always shown as ‘completing’ (i.e. apparently working fine). PDFs are uploaded onto ICloud by both Mac and IOS. However, no Notebook is synced whatsoever. Also, neither Mac nor IOS seem to crash into a neverending ‘Fetching Data’ loop but quickly report sync completion (just without actually syncing anything except for PDFs).

Also, as I went to the QReader.NargubStudyMac I noted that there is not simply a Data/Documents folder but also a copy of my Desktop, Downloads, Movies, and the Library present. May I ask why this is?

It is maybe a bit silly to ask (sorry if so) but why is this issue still persistent after almost a year? After all, sync did work on Marginnote 2 did it not? (never actually used MN2). What has fundamentally changed between MN2 and MN3?

@Relight_Support-Team, you replied to @Aurelius, but I don’t see how your reply addresses what he/she suggested with regard to the sync issue. For me the storage and upload of files seem to work perfectly fine, while Notebooks are dead-end. Is it certain that these different repositories for Notebook storage/access are not behind the sync issues?

Hello, note data is slower to sync at the moment due to fragmentation issues. Please check if iCloud has been turned on to synchronize your files and notebooks (:cloud: will be shown below if it has been turned on); then select iCloud from the more in the bottom left corner of the main interface, enter the synchronization interface, see if there are any errors, if there are errors, try to turn off the corresponding iCloud switch, try again after 30 seconds; if it shows that it is downloading, then please wait patiently: make sure that the connection is clear to WI-FI, stay in the iCloud synchronization interface, make sure that the device is always on, turn on the power charger; you can also try to restart the device or restore the network settings, we are optimizing the synchronization function, we expect the version 3.7~3.8 will be improved, in addition, the handoff function can be transferred, airdrop can also be tried~

My app was constantly crashing and I thought that maybe had something to do with the sync, because I also use the desktop version to view my maps in a larger scale and often saw that when it updated, the iPad app would crash… so I turned off the cloud sync on the app. Never recovered.
Has been in “Uploading: 2” for 2 days now.

Help?

And BTW, it’s still crashing an annoying lot.

Sync has completely stopped working for me. No errors or anything. The documents are still synced but Study Notes, categories, etc is all not synced between my Mac and my Ipad version.

Please help.

1 Like

Marginnote support team: PLEASE focus on fixing sync issue. I’ve always resisted being yet another user to complaint about sync across devices but this is getting out of hand. Been putting up with this issue for months. Please focus on solving this as soon as possible. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello, same problem here: sync works 1 out of 50 times…I’ve seen many suggestions on how to solve the issue but nothing appears to fix the problem…Anyway my point is: is there a way to try to re-sync from scratch? I mean: I mostly use MN3 on my iPad, so the updated data are on my iPad. I use the MN Mac version just to reorganize materials, rename etc. Is it safe (no data loss) to turn off sync and turn it on again? Will this work to resync everything? Any help appreciated!

2 Likes

I think this is getting out of hand…
Please try correcting this syncing error
After watching this many user having same problem as me, i think it is a serious issue because is the most important necessity than any other functions that app gives…

Let alone fix this problem first then develop all you want
otherwise I am not seeing myself using MN3 and my gut clenches because this is the best app that was giving me everything that I have wanted and now I won’t be able to use it …if I can’t sync my study material

The documents gets syncEd right away…the problem is with notes and cards…
And suggestion that has been given by technical support are of no use…still my notes and cards aren’t syncing…

Please sort this matter this affecting our studies man…

1 Like

Please help fix the sync problem. No MindMap Notebook in iPad is synced to Mac. This is really defeating the purpose of owning the products on different OS. Please prioritize this. Thank you very much!!

And big thing is, I don’t understand after so many customers having the same problem,
So Many complaining not just on margin note forum but also on the App Store …for a such a long time of more than 6 months minimum and yet… there is no improvement, why!!!

After every update, they improve many other things but not this…

I mean seriously, I don’t understand what is the developer and technical support team thinking here. Like there are many threads going on in the marginnote forum only about syncing problem…and they are seeing that Problem for a long time but why they are developing other things in the app and not the basic one …the most important one i would say in this era …that is providing “Sync support”…and Also the best of quality “sync support”
Because copying and pasting everything in iCloud is not a solutions to syncing, Because that takes away great chunk of time in anyone’s studies

How one is supposed to work in this digital era without being able to transfer data to other devices?and for that good quality syncing must work perfectly, Especially when this is the educational app where syncing is the utmost of importance for studies.

Seriously, Please do take some steps in this matter now.

3 Likes

I installed MN 3 on both MacOS (Cataline & El Capitan) and IOS for iPAD as well. The synchronise between Cataline and iOS is working well, there is no problem. But… for el capitan, there is a problem. The synchronise is only for PDF file, but nothing for notes. Any solution for it?