Folders not syncing & functioning

I’ve been having many problems with Folders lately. For one thing, the MN Folders I’ve set up are not syncing between the Mac and iOS platforms.

Also, I am unable to access documents in my folders within my iOS MN app. When I try to do so, I get the following image, that depicts lack of functionality…

Hope you guys can fix it… Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

New user and I’m having this problem too - very frustrating!!

I’ve set up folders containing PDFs on my Mac, but can’t get them to download to my iPad!!

Jim

1 Like

Yeah, it’s still not working for me, either. Looks like MN came out with another update, but so far it hasn’t fixed the problem (for me, anyway).

Has this been fixed yet? I am having the same problem… just paid 65 dollars and cant open anything on my primary computer.

Help!

1 Like

Sadly, no. I’ve repeatedly alerted MarginNote support about problems I’ve had with syncing and accessing folders, the contents of folders, and even syncing files. I honestly don’t know know what they’re doing with my inquiries, and it’s a bit worrisome. Like you, I’m getting anxious about relying on an application that has technical problems that prevent me from syncing and accessing files and folders, and sparse communication about what they’re doing. I’ve been a big fan advocate of MarginNote for a while, but this is a serious problem that they need to address.

1 Like

I AM seeing this work Mac>IOS. I make a folder on the mac MN, move a couple of pdfs to it. About a minute later I see activity (on the cloud sync popup within the … bottom left on the MN Mac window). Next I see everything appear on the IOS app. My issue is that I have issues with the reverse direction. If I add a pdf in the IOS app, I have to turn on sync within the document settings for it to move to the Mac. V3.1.10 on the mac, and iPad.

1 Like

@chrisduke – I’m seeing the same behavior.

1 Like

That sounds about right. I have no idea if MN is working on fixing it.

Anyone know if MN has attempted to fix this? Have they contacted anyone about the status of this issue and if / what they’re doing to repair it?

I found MN this week. I love it… Except on iPhone… Sync works perfectly between Mac and iPad but only the maps, not the documents are synced to my iPhone… Strange
J

It’s was fixed in last versions! Upgrade app on mac and iphone.

I just updated and installed the latest versions, and I’m sorry to say the the problems persist. So, they still haven’t fixed it, and MarginNote’s tech support still hasn’t provided me with any indication of if / when they will.

Was having the same problems - just restarted iPad then went in and did manual sync on the mindmap closed, opened Margin Note on Mac and did manual sync and at seemed to work… will need to check if it is keeping in sync.

Worrying though that this seems to be going on for a long time and no word from support… I love this programme but I need it to be stable. I can’t afford to put in loads of work and then lose it!!

1 Like

You’ve articulated every one of my concerns about MarginNote. Like you, I love the product and desperately want it to succeed. But I’m worried about losing document and/or annotations through the sync problems. Like you, I’ve contacted MarginNote support about this repeatedly, but they haven’t responded to me. I’m at a loss about what to do.

Feeling a little slow today, but cannot figure out how to get PDFs and ePubs that I’ve added via my iPad to show up on my MacBook. This forum isn’t exactly filling me with confidence… perhaps buying MarginNote was a mistake…? Anyone know what I might try to get files to sync between devices?

1 Like

I hear you and share your concern. MarginNote hasn’t yet produced a manual, and they haven’t exactly contributed much to this forum, so many of us who like the app – or what it purports to do – are fumbling around, trying to figure this out. It’s far from ideal, and I think I speak for many users when I say I hope MarginNote takes notice and can be more responsive to its users and their concerns.

Like you, I’m struggling to figure out the best protocol for syncing files between devices. Right now, I’m annotating a very large file, and have been annotating it via MN3 on various devices. My approach is to manually sync the document or Study notebook each time I’ve finished a batch of annotations, then quit the app in that device, open the app in another device and then run manual sync on the same Study notebook (document). It’s far from ideal, but it seems to be a more dependable way of ensuring your document(s) sync between devices.

Hope that helps…

Thanks. I’ve had more success with the latest build—both with following your “process” and without. Sync seems to be working reliably for me (for now, at least).

Same problem here :frowning:

Folders and categories are among the very last item to get synced and first time sync from one device to a new one normally would take some time, which very much depends on iCloud sync speed and your database size. You could export your whole MarginNote database from device A and share this backup file to MarginNote 3 on Device B, be it running iOS or macOS.

The problem for many of us is that we have latent folders in either Mac or iOS that appear in one or more device – and MarginNote shows that they contain files, but we cannot access them!

As a result, we don’t know: what’s really inside them, if we’re able to access these files, where else they reside within MarginNote’s “directory” of files, etc.

Moreover, we’re unable to expunge the contents of those files, and refile them elsewhere. In fact, because I don’t what files they are, I don’t know if I’m able to access, annotate or sync them.

With all due resect (really), I don’t think this is an issue of iCloud sync speed and database size. My sync speed is quite good, and my DB size is fine. Rather, it seems that there’s some error with the folder architecture in the iOS platform that hasn’t been properly identified and fixed.

We’re happy to provide you with more information to help fix this problem! So, please let us know!

Thanks.