【Official Recommend】MY HASHTAG WORKFLOW via KEYBOARD MAESTRO

Wow. That’s very interesting and useful. Thank you!

I’m curious… Can you explain how your workflow would work with these apps vis-a-vis MarginNote annotated files.

I’m asking both to understand if / how it might make sense to integrate Curious into my workflow, as well as how you put these apps together working on files for your research.

Actually, it also directly relates to question of how you and other users archive MarginNote-exported files, which was referenced in this post by another user. I just replied to it earlier today, saying that I’m struggling with the very same challenges with my work.

Thanks!

1 Like

In a nutshell, I am not in a position to relate any of the apps to a workflow that involves MarginNote.

I only use MarginNote routinely, and then only on my iPad, and then only to markup documents where I want to track the tag from the annotations. A primary case in point is to grade assignments, where I can mark annotations with tags such as #incorrect, #inadequate, and #improper. Each tag level has a specific point deduction that I can tally at the end of markup. Despite owning MarginNote, I have not even attempted to go beyond the annotation level (to the review/organize and study card levels). I might do this at some point when I could be assured that exporting annotations from MarginNote and importing them from other sources (primarily DevonThink ToGo and Bookends) would not be a process akin to pulling teeth without an anesthetic.

I don’t use Tinderbox. While I am inclined to tackle a project visually as per the layouts possible in Tinderbox (rather than hierarchically), I can’t master the full power of Tinderbox well enough to improve my workflow. I also have significantly more than just notes to layout on a page as related to any given project that I tackle.

I use DevonThink somewhat sporadically but in a focused manner to search through files for specific topics related to lectures or content that I am preparing. A primary case in point is that I have all my lecture notes, assignments, and resources going back a few decades for a specific course, and I am culling through it to organize a study guide, a set of practice problems, and eventually a textbook for the course.

Because I prefer a visual structure to layout content, Curio is my primary workhorse. For further insights into aspects of what I do with Curio, you might look through the Curio forum for some of my postings (DrJJWMac) in the Reviews and Workflows category. Somewhere there is for example a link to a Dropbox folder that points to project files for Kanban boards and teaching among others.

JJW

3 Likes

Fascinating. And very helpful. Thank you for this explanation, @DrJJWMac I use a similar combination of apps, but haven’t yet explored Curio, partly due to its cost.

Tinderbox does require a steep learning curve at first, but gets easier over time.

I think you’ve summed up one of my main concerns regarding MarginNote when you wrote:

This is exactly where I am right now. I’m actually less interested in the ability to review/organize and study cards, but am very concerned about the seeming inability to archive MarginNote files, and retain the ability to use the MarginNote-created links inside them.

Frankly, I might have to stop using the app if @marginnote is unable to provide a solution to this problem. That would be a source of great frustration, but I use a similar workflow and as you and other users and this appears to be a serious bottleneck.

I look forward to any additional ideas and suggestions from @Lanco_Support-Team @Support-Team as well as other MarginNote users.

Thanks very much again.

2 Likes

I’m in total agreement with all of this. In fact, I share the very same concerns that @JournoProf has laid out.

Naturally, I’m a big fan of MarginNote — otherwise I wouldn’t be contributing so much to these forums and emailing the developers! But… I’m really worried that I might have to find another app if this issue with archiving can’t be resolved. It’s a serious problem.

1 Like

Sorry, just purchased & installed Maestro on my working Mac. I will share my ideas after testing today, alongside Tinderbox, Devonthink, Curio, Zettelkasten. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, @Lanco_Support-Team I appreciate your efforts to test the various apps we’ve discussed.

But just so we’re clear, many of us here have been discussing our concerns with being able to access MarginNote-created export files – that is, archiving them after annotating them, so that users can still use MarginNote links from those annotations – after they’re no longer in MarginNote / iCloud.

We welcome a solution that MarginNote can provide. Thanks.

1 Like

While I realize this post is principally about @jprint’s hashtag workflow, I want to add that I’m in complete agreement with the point raised here about the importance of archiving MarginNote files, and ability to access links & features when these files are offline.

In fact, I’d sharpen this further by saying the ability to archive files successfully, and have have access to the thee MarginNote-created created links & features (once they’ve been exported and are no longer on iCloud), is of paramount importance. Apart from being able to sync files (which seems to be a continued problem), this is the most urgent important problem that needs to solve, regardless of any new or improved MN features.

Thank you.

1 Like

Nailed it.

@Lanco_Support-Team @Support-Team @marginnote – take note.

1 Like

We has verified all your demands with tags as what MAESTRO does. We think these things could be achieved with MN’s AppleScript API. Now we are looking for testers who got experiences with AppleScript. And help us check what the API could do or optimize.

On the other hand, two tags system is on the way. First we will try to achieve sub tags which I have mentioned in your other thread.

Best Regards,
Lanco

Hi @Lanco_Support-Team, Thanks for your message. It looks like you sent me four message covering roughly the same issues re: the hashtags approach that I use, and the suggested process and format that MN3 create.

I’m happy to provide you with helpful input and answer your questions, but I’m afraid I don’t know much about AppleScript and JavaScript. Also, I’m working on a mid-2009 MPB, so that means I’m still running MacOS 10.11 – and that might be limited as far as what you’re aiming to do.

So, those are my limitations. But again, I’m happy to help you, however possible. Just let me know how.

Thanks!

Hi Josh,

Let me introduce my old friend and new colleague @Sushi_Support-Team . He is in charge of MN extensions development. Now I’m telling him what’s you need. As a developer, he will help you realize the features as you requested by adding new extensions and transfer advice with API provider, CEO Min. You could just help us to test if the API and extension work fine for your workflow and how could it be improved.

What’s more, his English is very good. You guys could exchange opinions and ideas with him. He cloud give a better understandable response. @JournoProf @mobo @DrJJWMac @Rebs @Jun @Nils

Regards
Lanco

1 Like

Hello everyone,

My name is Kevin, and from now on I will handle your questions about MN programming and extension. Feel free to ask me about anything and everything.

Regards,
Kevin

1 Like

Thanks @Lanco_Support-Team & @Sushi_Support-Team … Appreciate it.

I feel like I (we) have provided very clear descriptions of the features we’re seeking, and how we’re hoping they can take shape. So, it sounds like it’s your turn to ask me / us questions that can help get us all there together.

1 Like

I’m a newcomer to the team, and I’ve been talking with Lanco and others about your requests. I will definitely ask you about your issues and suggestions, as I try to develop extensions and such in the next version (which is soon to enter beta testing). I’m sure we can find a satisfying solution to archiving.

Regards,
Kevin

2 Likes

Sounds great. You caught all of the other suggestions I made in my previous post. Happy to further discuss those with you if you’d like.

1 Like

Hi @Sushi_Support-Team – Just touching base with you to see how things are going, and if you have any questions as you and your team are making fixes and developing new features…

Thanks!

Hi @jprint,

thanks for sharing :slight_smile: I try KeyboardMaestro for the first time, to adapt your workflow to mine. Pls share the Macro or can you explain the steps in KeyboardMaestro. I can’t get it running the way you use the macro.

That would be great.

Thanks
Andreas

I’ll see what I can put together for you. It might take me a while, so feel free to nudge.

Hi @jprint,

MN3 has gotten me closer to my dream workflow, and you hashtag sorting ideas are really all that is missing. Are you able to share your macro with me? I am using the MN3 at a surface level really, unless I’m missing something the tutorials for beginner levels are not super helpful.

Anyway thanks for any help you can offer! I hope that they make it happen for you (all of us!)

Hi @tjanders, I’m happy to help you out as best I can, but I should tell you that I no longer use the KeyboardMaestro approach for my workflow. Yes, it’s a useful trigger mechanism to use for selecting tags, but I now create and use a TaskPaper file that I file with Categories and their respective Hashtags, depending on the project on I’m working on.

This is is still a work in process, so I’m still ironing out all of the kinks, but right now it works for my complex work process – which probably isn’t one that will benefit everyone else.

I can still share the TaskPaper file with you, though it might not be as useful to you.

Honestly, it sure would be a LOT easier if @marginnote3 / @marginnote integrated the basic hashtag setup I suggested long ago, in which @Lanco_Support-Team said they would eagerly follow through.

I sure hope that can happen, along with some of the other suggestions I provided long ago. Here’s hoping…

4 Likes