Any changes to MN folders & categories?

I don’t know if @jprint is still interested in providing input about these and other MarginNote issues that he raised. I do hope so, given the robust ideas & suggestions provided. In any case, here’s a thought on the issue of folder & categories:

Many users tend to use / convert files from Documents to Study because of the annotation options available in Study. (I still don’t understand the value or utility of Study mode.) In any case, it seems to me that there are folders in the Documents section and categories in the Study section. But I do not understand that logical formulation behind this.

Can someone from @Support-Team explain the reason for this and what organizational framework they had in mind? I would again recommend considering @jprint’s organizational taxonomy / approach, especially in the Study section – which is where most users’ files mostly reside (for reasons I just explained).

Thank you.

1 Like

Any further thoughts or developments on this front?

I feel like there are many outstanding requests and queries that have stalled, and many MarginNote users are understandably frustrated with the lack of communication and progress.

Thank you.

2 Likes

No reply to this one, either.

1 Like

https://d.marginnote.cn/MarginNote_3.6.16003.app.zip

Hi, guys.

It’s confirmed that the folder design has improved, and now the main problem is that our current workaround doesn’t have a way to integrate into Marginnote3 in the first place. Because this means massive data conversion. Such a big change we need to put in a big version update, i.e. MarginSketch (Or it could be another name.), and will eventually be integrated into Marginote 4. This is something we can guarantee.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello, @mobo, this is a recently compiled version that handled the two issues of English hyphens and excerpt font settings.

We have not yet released this version and would like to invite you to download it to confirm it. Thank you for your time.

Regards.

1 Like

We realize that Marginote has a lot of room for improvement, but there is a lack of concrete samples and examples within the team.

In fact it’s hard for us to move forward with an idea just by talking about it in the abstract, so if you’re interested, you can join our beta test.

We’re currently working on optimizing the data and UI in general, and have plans to enhance sync and develop online collaboration.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @Edward_Support-Team,

Sounds good. Let me know how to download this new version for testing, and I’ll have a look.

Best regards.

1 Like

Just override the installation.

@mobo You can download the update directly from the appstore on IOS platform; the update for Mac is not yet available, you can download the attachment in this link to test it.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi @Edward_Support-Team,

I haven’t been using MN on iOS, but I just tried this version 3.6.16003 on macOS and it seems to correct the problem with italics, and also strips hyphens in a sensible manner. I haven’t yet tested it extensively, but thus far both issues seem to be fixed.

Thank you!

1 Like

Please enjoy. If you have any other questions, just follow up here.

Lanco

So, when will the update be ready with the changes to folders & categories?

Thanks.

Hello

I am sorry that we don't have a time frame yet. We have just started working on it, but for some change as massive as completely revamping the file system, it will take time. We cannot afford to have any bugs or major issues that may cause loss of data etc.

Reading through the thread, I also found out that some of you guys were confused about the study and the document section. Generally speaking, the document section stores each individual document that you input into MarginNote 3, and the study section stores your notebooks. As you can take notes in a single notebook from different books, it makes sense to have the ability to link one single notebook to many documents. It also makes sense that a book's content will be included in many different notebooks, therefore you could link a document to many different notebooks. Therefore, we came up with two storage systems: the document folder stores your documents, and the study folder stores your notebooks. Sorry that this is not the easiest thing to understand - we know this issue and are thinking about a completely-redesigned system that wouldn't be as confusing.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

1 Like

There is also no option for selection of the documents from the document section to a notebook in study section according to the folder categorization that seen in the document section.

What is the purpose of the folder categorization that seen in document section, if the documents cannot be selected to study notes according to that folders?

Hi,

Just wondering if you’ve now got a timeframe for solving this problem with restructuring MN3’s folders and categories. It’s been very difficult to organize files, and do work in MN3, based on the current structure.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hello

Not for now :-(.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Sushi
Support Team

Ok, but when do you expert this to happen? Many of us desperately need fixes for certain basic functions.

Thanks.

1 Like

@jprint I agree. In the meantime, I am using a DEVONthink index as a file manager for MarginNote. It works pretty well, though importing files from DEVONthink requires you to reopen MarginNote a few times due to current database limitations.

1 Like

Thanks, @ringmaster555 … I’ve been sympathetic to the MN3 development team addressing the many, necessary fixes to make the app work adequately, but the existing system of folders & categories makes difficult to work in MN3.

Anyway, like you I’ve also got DEVONthink, and likewise use it to store my files for annotation. But I hadn’t thought about use an Index folder for MN3 files. Would you mind walking me through your set up? Sounds like it might provide some kind of stop gap approach (albeit with the limitations you’ve pointed out). Thanks so much!

2 Likes