【FAQ】Collecting Problems with Sync + Troubleshooting

iCloud Drive is quite buggy, both on Catalina and Big Sur.
My advice is to:

1. Sync to iCloud manually before quiting MN
  2. Take a look at the status of iCloud in Finder (if it finished sending files)
  3. On a second machine check whether the files synced (I’m using iMac and Macbook, so here again I look into finder).
  4. Sometimes the iCloud Drive doesn’t work then I follow this: macos - icloud drive sync stuck - Super User
    and do killall bird and after a few seconds iCloud works again.
  5. Open MN and check the status of sync in MN
  6. (Optional) delete caches as advised on the beginning of this post.
  7. Finally open the project

Hi,
I use MN3 on iPad, now my iPad has been stolen and I need to continue on my Macbook Pro with Catalina. I downloaded the app in the app store, clicked “restore purchase” and nothing happened!
I really need a solution here the exams are coming up!
Thank you guys!
All the best,
Henk

Hello

1. Check the version of MarginNote you bought:

• Given that iOS and macOS are of two separate operating platforms, iOS and macOS apps are sold separately. The purchase of the macOS app (be it license version or the one from the Mac AppStore) can't be used on the iOS AppStore, and vice versa.
  • There are two macOS versions issued on separate platforms: A.Apple’s Mac App Store. Falls under Apple’s Terms and Conditions, licensed directly through the individual user’s Mac AppStore account. B.Outside of the Mac App Store. Licensed as activation code. So the activation code doesn’t support the App Store version. Please download the installation image via https://s3.amazonaws.com/marginnote-product/macapp/MarginNote3.dmg.

2. Make sure you've downloaded/installed the app using the same purchasing Apple ID.

1. Please check the detailed order info of your MarginNote 3 purchase and see under which exact Apple ID the order was placed: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204088
  2. If it is installed using a different Apple ID under which there is no in-app-purchase item of MarginNote 3, then no recoverable item would be restored(All purchased items are linked with your downloading Apple ID).
  3. In case you are not sure about which account you've used to install the app, the best solution would be to delete and reinstall the app while the right Apple ID is logged on in your AppStore.

IMPORTANT:

Please do make a manual backup of your note database in MarginNote 3 before deleting the app. Deleting the app without a manual backup will erase all locally stored documents and notebooks and they would not be retrievable.

Manual Backup: MarginNote 3/.../Settings/Data-Backup and Restore.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

one year later it is still the same problem… I can’t understand that and why there isn’t any honest statement from marginnote team?

sorry but now I am really pissed off… I hope I will find a solutions the next hours. if not, marginnote is dead for me and im going to delete it and give liquid text a try.

I have problem with sync, between mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and iPad os 14.4
All the pdfs are synced as I can see in iCloud, but Mindmap Notebooks are just not showing up…

I need help please!!

1 Like

Hi. I’m trying to use MarginNote (EDIT: I used the name of a similar-name app but I meant MarginNote! corrected now) again for my research. I’ve reorganized a little bit my folders (moved and renamed just 3 or 4 or them inside Marginnote), and started putting some more papers. Not sure this is just since I moved/renamed folders but when I enter some folders (seemingly the ones I moved) that should have several of my highlighting paper… the folder is empty! Only subfolders are there (also empty) but not any of my highlighted papers…!

As per instructions above, I’m posting iCloud message (no syncing problem mentioned):
Screenshot 2021-09-08 at 12.22.37
Doc, MindMap and Card don’t show any problem either (and they do show up in MarginNote).

Tried to find the documents elsewhere; nothing. Closed MarginNote, opened it and they are there again

but they dissappear again after some seconds…

Went to MarginNote’s folder on Documents in the Finder. They are not there either

Close-open MarginNote again and they’re back…

but just for some seconds and again they disappear…

Have tried several other combinations but no way to recover them for more than a few seconds

Sometimes the files are shown in Marginote’s folder…

… but Finder doesn’t show them (only as hidden ones in grey) now.

Sometimes is the opposite but after a while the files disappear on both

If I restart the computer I can see the pdfs again inside the Marginote lists of files in its folder. But clicking on a file to open it, it only shows the highlights (in the MarginNote list of highlights), but no document, just an error like this:

Followed what (you?) @Relight_Support-Team say/s- on the iCloud menu in Marginnote: no error there.
Also @Aurelius, I don’t have the QReader.MarginStudyMac folder… (not in User hidden library, nor the Library in the root directory, nor elsewhere (BigSur 11.5.2 M1)
I also tried some related things, like closing and restarting after 30 secs with iCloud switched off (?) but didn’t help. I can’t export a notebook as I don’t have it for the documents in these folders.

Could anyone point to some instructions on what to do to recover them, pretty please? Is it OK to just copy paste the documents FROM iCloud to Macos Marginnote’s folder or will I lose metadata or links or anything that way?

Files in iCloud are still there - but don’t know if I should just copy paste them from iCloud what (this is not clear for my case in the suggestions given in the very first post).

And regarding iCloud, it is has plenty of space. I was using it cause I understood from Marginnote that it was necessary for recovering files (if it was not on by default, some time ago Marginnote/you recommended leaving it on), but now it seems to be what it is making us lose the working files, so please let me know if it’s better to just turn it off. I don’t mind not using it if it is better not to - already have my TimeMachine backup)

Macbook Air M1

Hello

Hello, it is not recommended to use another app to access mn's folder at this time - you can export the file and send it to a third-party app

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

Who are you answering to? I don’t see anyone using another app in the last posts at least…

Hello

Hello, such as Remnote?

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

Ups!!! I meant Marginnote every time I used the other similar name, sorry…! Corrected now

Hello

Oh, this problem usually occurs in multi-device sync conflicts, is the system time on your mac the actual time? You can try to close iCloud temporarily to see if the problem will occur again.

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

iCloud was turned off as per these two settings - the one I post in the first pic, and the one posted by a MarginNote team member.

And yep it is perfect time in Madrid (posting so that you can verify it with the time this post is sent):
Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 14.05.40

Or do you want me to turn it off in MacOS temporarily for the whole system? _Mmm I’m trying that, now that I can see the documents again in MarginNote

me too…. need a fix for this error…

Kindly requesting support to look into this issue once please.
Thank you.

I would like to ask what I can do in facing this iCloud sync error? I have tried removing and reinstall the app for a couple of times already.

Hello

Hello, note data is slower to sync at the moment due to fragmentation issues. Please check if iCloud has been turned on to synchronize your files and notebooks (☁️ will be shown below if it has been turned on); then select iCloud from the more in the bottom left corner of the main interface, enter the synchronization interface, see if there are any errors, if there are errors, try to turn off the corresponding iCloud switch, try again after 30 seconds; if it shows that it is downloading, then please wait patiently: make sure that the connection is clear to WI-FI, stay in the iCloud synchronization interface, make sure that the device is always on, turn on the power charger; you can also try to restart the device or restore the network settings, we are optimizing the synchronization function, we expect the version 3.7~3.8 will be improved, in addition, the handoff function can be transferred, airdrop can also be tried~

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

Hi,
I’m a new use of MN3 on my ipad pro, I want to sync my study docs to my mac laptop but it’s not working. I need help as soon as possible.

Hello

try to turn off the corresponding iCloud switch, try again after 30 seconds,
And use wifi instead of hotspots

Kind Regards,
MarginNote-Relight
Support Team

still not working. Not using hotspots. After I checked my trial subscription on mac says 13 days left while the ipad one says 11 days left. I use the same apple ID account. Maybe bcs its somehow different its not syncing properly? It’s annoying as I do really enjoy using it and was planning to purchase the full version however live syncing is an important feature for me as I need to work both with my mac and sometimes ipad.